The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my LFS sells what they call flat anemones for $15ea, and im wondering if theyre the same as rock flower anemones, cus my clarkii clown hosts my condy and if the condy dies i may replace it with a flat anemone or rock flower anemone, and if they r different, will a flat anemone try to eat my porcelain crab which also hosts the same condy. im not saying my condy is doin bad, its actually doin good...but if it eventually dies i want a hardy nem to repplace it with, oh and its in a 10 gallon with 36 watts of T5HO is that good enough for condys or should i add my old PCs with the T5s also? whcih will make a total of 76 watts, i kno a 10 gallon is small for an anemone but the nem is small now and im probably gonna change my 37gal from a FOWLR to a reef soon so yea, any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
\

so this is similar to the flat anemones at my LFS except the 1s at the store were more brown...so if u have any idea of the care of this anemone tht would be great....now tht i see this pic i realize this is different from a rock flower anemone but if u kno anyhting about this anemone which would be better for a 10gal this or a rock flower(if my condy dies) oh and tcamos i got that subcurrent filter and its actually really good and it fits perfect in the 10 gal.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I've been trying to get a positive ID on these "flat" anemones that have been showing up lately, but I've been unsuccessful. Do the ones you're talking about look like this?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
It's called the Upside down two footed BTA.:lol:

:blob:Sweet! I have my ID. :lol: It's the illusive two footed upside down BTA. :rotflmao:

Seriously, I took the pic because it had two pedal disks. Most of them don't. It came in as a "Purple flat anemone". Which is just a name some wholesaler gave it because they didn't know the true ID. If it was a BTA, the ID would be simple. It's not a BTA though. BTA's don't have verrucae. This anemone has very large and adhesive verrucae. The column is thick and leathery like H. crispa. Not thin and delicate like a BTA. If I had to take a wild guess I would say it's a very young H. crispa. I don't even know what ocean it came from though.:confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Seriously, I took the pic because it had two pedal disks. Most of them don't. It came in as a "Purple flat anemone". Which is just a name some wholesaler gave it because they didn't know the true ID. If it was a BTA, the ID would be simple. It's not a BTA though. BTA's don't have verrucae. This anemone has very large and adhesive verrucae. The column is thick and leathery like H. crispa. Not thin and delicate like a BTA. If I had to take a wild guess I would say it's a very young H. crispa. I don't even know what ocean it came from though.:confused:
OK, Word of the Day time...

What are "verrucae"? I Googled it, and basically they are "wartly like projections". A lot of results for plantar warts also came up. Can you please explain what and where these are found on anemones?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
OK, Word of the Day time...

What are "verrucae"? I Googled it, and basically they are "wartly like projections". A lot of results for plantar warts also came up. Can you please explain what and where these are found on anemones?

They are bumps or spots on the underside of the oral disk. They may be sticky in some species, or non-adhesive in others. They are use to hold the oral disk down. In the pic above you can see little white bumps just below the tentacles. These are verrucae. In the lower portion of the pic, you can see sand grains stuck to the verrucae.

In these pic's you can see the blue verrucae on the underside of the oral disk.

Here the tiny verrucae are almost the same color as the column.

Blue verrucae

tiny white verrucae

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
\

so this is similar to the flat anemones at my LFS except the 1s at the store were more brown...so if u have any idea of the care of this anemone tht would be great....now tht i see this pic i realize this is different from a rock flower anemone but if u kno anyhting about this anemone which would be better for a 10gal this or a rock flower(if my condy dies) oh and tcamos i got that subcurrent filter and its actually really good and it fits perfect in the 10 gal.
This pic didn't show up for me before. If you're sure that is the same anemone the store has, you will want to stay away from it. That is S. helianthus. It is not a host species. This anemone has the strongest prey capture ability of any anemone that I know of. They will eat anything that bumps into them. Even if the prey somehow escapes, it usually won't survive the venom. These anemones are not suited for the community tank.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They are bumps or spots on the underside of the oral disk. They may be sticky in some species, or non-adhesive in others. They are use to hold the oral disk down. In the pic above you can see little white bumps just below the tentacles. These are verrucae. In the lower portion of the pic, you can see sand grains stuck to the verrucae.
Ah, OK got it! My LTA has these.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This pic didn't show up for me before. If you're sure that is the same anemone the store has, you will want to stay away from it. That is S. helianthus. It is not a host species. This anemone has the strongest prey capture ability of any anemone that I know of. They will eat anything that bumps into them. Even if the prey somehow escapes, it usually won't survive the venom. These anemones are not suited for the community tank.
ok but like i said im not 100% sure yet, but wat about a rock flower anemone? do u think 1 of those would mind a clarkii all up in it?
and with the pic i put up, imagin those same short stubby tentacles but around the outside of the oral disc but the disc was the same color as the tentacles, i think i cant fully remember, imma hav to see if next time i go to my LFS i can take a pic of 1.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I have never seen a clown host a rock flower anemone....but that doesnt mean it cant happen.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
ok but like i said im not 100% sure yet, but wat about a rock flower anemone? do u think 1 of those would mind a clarkii all up in it?
and with the pic i put up, imagin those same short stubby tentacles but around the outside of the oral disc but the disc was the same color as the tentacles, i think i cant fully remember, imma hav to see if next time i go to my LFS i can take a pic of 1.
A rock flower anemone/E. crucifer is not a host species. I started out keeping these anemones, and they're one of my favorites. Unfortunately, I've never seen or heard of a clown fish adopting one as a host.

Crucifer and helianthus are pretty easy to tell apart. The pic you posted is a very good representation of helianthus.

This is E. crucifer. You can't use color to aid with identification of this species. They can be found in every color imaginable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts