The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tell me again why i should do these............i have about a 3" reef sand bed about 50+lbs of lr...........now from what i understand its so its easy to get crap out from under the rocks...........but if your rocks are imbedded in the sand .............does crap really get under the rocks.................and is there another reason...............and also i remember a thread with a description of how to make them..........i think it was 4" with holes drilled in ..............i dont remember , but if someone could find that .......that would be great

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
The bacteria in the rocks push the detrius out and it will build up under the rocks if you cannot get under there to siphon it out.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Yes you should it is always best to have better circulation around over and under the rocks period.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
if you wanna see how much gets under the rock, just pick one rock up one day, you will realize very quickly how easy it is for gunk to get under it. you dont need 4" pipe, you can if you want, i made mine out of 3" and 2" just depends on the size of the rock your trying to hold up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
leveldrummer said:
if you wanna see how much gets under the rock, just pick one rock up one day, you will realize very quickly how easy it is for gunk to get under ...

Or look from under the tank. If the rock has been there for a length of time, it'll be black... Garanteed!

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
They also support the LR if you were to get a critter that likes to dig in sand, or under rocks.:agree:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Lutrah said:
Or look from under the tank. If the rock has been there for a length of time, it'll be black... Garanteed!
hard to do with a solid bottom stand, and black sand! :doh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts