The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live rock question here, can I put live rock in my tank if I've taken it out of an old saltwater tank and soaked it in vinegar, then fresh water and then dried it out? The tank I'm thinking about putting it in is anew saltwater setup.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
That sounds like it would be considered Base Rock. No bacteria and would need to be harvested again. Just like starting all over again with the raw shrimp for growth. If you're putting it in an established tank it will take time to reseed them again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like it would be considered Base Rock. No bacteria and would need to be harvested again. Just like starting all over again with the raw shrimp for growth. If you're putting it in an established tank it will take time to reseed them again.
That is the affect I wanted, but got to thinking should it have to be cured or cooked to be safe to put in the tank, and it is a new tank, build thread coming soon!

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
I think it would be okay to do that if the tank has no livestock in it. Just let it go thru the cycle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also how long does it take for dry rock to seed? And do you have to use live rock yo seed dry rock or can you use live sand?

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Take a raw cocktail shrimp and put it in some panty hose (easy removal) and put it in the tank. Pending tank size you might need more than 1. 3-5 days is good to get the ammonia cycle going. Have powerhead and heater going too. No need for skimmer or filter yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts