The Reef Tank banner
2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  jenajet 
#1 ·
I asked for some advice on another forum, and what they told me was shocking. Long story short, basically I dont need to have any mechanical filtration besides my skimmer, if I have a very established tank with enough sand and LR?
55 gallon, running 2+ years
2 inch sand base
60lbs tonga branch LR full of coraline
CPR Backpack skimmer
Big Clean up crew

#3 ·
Yup a good skimmer is really all you need!

The LR will do your biolgical filtration. Plus regular WC's and your good to go!

All I have is flow and a Big Skimmer and run carbon from time to time!

#5 · (Edited)
What they told you at that other site is more or less true. Adequate flow through healthy live rock along with a skimmer is really the only filtration necessary for a happy healthy reef. The skimmer isnt even necessary if you wanted to change tons of water....but for most realistic purposes...it is necessary.

Most other mechanical filters become detritus traps uinless you clean them every couple of days and can do much more harm thatn good

Welcome to TRT :)

#6 ·
Three months ago I was just like you except I had a tank that was way out of whack. I slowly removed all my bio balls and media from my canister and bought a new skimmer and ro unit. I will be honest with you removing all the bio balls and media was one of the scariest things I ve ever done. Three months later and all my test are the way they should be the corals and fish have never been happier.
Good luck and welcome to trt!
Patrick

#7 ·
Welcome Wicked!! You will love it here at TRT.....I know I do !!!!!!!

I agree with all of the above statements....Good skimmer and water changes....or bad skimmer and lots of water changes......or no skimmer and a ton of water changes.......

Get rid of the bio-balls and any mechanical filtration it is a safe haven for phosphates and food to promote algae growth!!!:bawling:

Patrick, I remember that thread...it feels just like yesterday ....oh know here it comes....:bawling: I get all emotional remembering back then...when even I had bio-balls......:lol:

Wicked you will learn so much information reading the threads here!!! It makes keeping a reef so much easier when you have a great support group like here. I know I have learned a ton of information here over the last year that i did not know.....and I've had fish tanks and reef tanks for most of my life...

Once again WELCOME!!!!

#9 ·
Thank you so much everyone, I am going to unplug the Fluval today, and wait a few days, and get rid of the hang on back. God I hope nothing gets screwed up. Heres a picture by the way. The tank was overrun with Kenya tree frags and Aptasia. I pretty much got rid of the majority of Aptasia (ongoing battle) and kept the few choice Kenya's

#10 ·
You can keep the fluval for added flow or adding carbon. Just be sure to remove everything in it. Also if you run carbon replace or remove it every 2 weeks or so!

Tank looks pretty good!!

#15 ·
You can keep the fluval for added flow or adding carbon. Just be sure to remove everything in it. Also if you run carbon replace or remove it every 2 weeks or so!

Tank looks pretty good!!
I love your tank and welcome to TRT. Like mentioned above you can keep your fluval. I kept my ehiem i use it for flow. I also kept my hang on. Just remove all the media and they will be fine. You can always use them for flow. I didn't go with the carbon because I was afraid I would get lazy and not remove it every few weeks so i just left mine empty. I did put a cpl of lr in my hangon it problem doesn't do anything but it's there.
Patrick
Ps Bill your too funny!

#14 ·
I asked for some advice on another forum, and what they told me was shocking. Long story short, basically I dont need to have any mechanical filtration besides my skimmer, if I have a very established tank with enough sand and LR?
55 gallon, running 2+ years
2 inch sand base
60lbs tonga branch LR full of coraline
CPR Backpack skimmer
Big Clean up crew
See above!:eek4: :trout2: :lol:

#16 ·
Welcome to TRT.
yes keep the hang on going for now with just carbon running in it.
you can hill the aipt. with kalk paste and a syringe. a direct shot to each one with do it. you can give the perrerment shrimpa buzz if you want to do it a bit slower. they did work for me a whiel back. just dont pick at them your self.any small piece will turn in to a new one

#18 ·
ok, so i read it a bit quickly and missed the skimmer part, geesh. ;)

that skimmer is a bit under powered for a 55g tank.

G~
:agree:

Look into a Aqua C remora Pro w/ overflow box or a Coralife SS 125.

Either will be a huge upgrade from what you have. Also defintitly worth a change!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.