The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Berginator, The
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the 46 bowfront is a reef again .... (and my whole attitude is that everything is all new so lets do it right) I was thinking about analyzing everyday things too.

So ...
I have a 46 bowfront, bare-cutting board bottom, drilled, with a rubbermaid sump 70' away down in the basement.
Once in the sump, the water hits a filter floss pad to help silence the waterfall.

Nearly all the water is pumped through a 4" diameter x 5' tall counter current Geoff skimmer.

The water is then heated and pumped back to the tank 70' away.

The return is a single spout angled up about 15 degrees to the left of center vertical.

I have the 96 watt 10,000k and actinic 03 flourescent lighting.

I have enough live rock so the nitrates are always 0.

The tank contains a leather finger, mushrooms, limpets, turbo and astrea snails, 2 oscellaris clowns, 1 pygmy angel, 1 yellow tail damsel, need to replace the dead fire shrimp, royal gramma, and the other guy that I cant think of right now.

I use tropic marin salt, kent turbo calcium, and (is the blue can kent or seachem?) reef builder for dkh up. Last nights test was 370 and 7.5 so I added 3 teaspoons of refbuilder in 2 qts of RO/DI make up water.

I test for calcium and dkh monthly at the 5 gal water change, once a year I test for phosphate and nitrate.

I feed them formula 1 ... (formula 2 seems to cause hair algae blooms) once a day or 2.

If you read this far ... thank you ... I appreciate it ...

In your opinion ... what am I doing right, wrong, and what would work better, cheaper etc.

I want to hear it all ... hit me with your knowledge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
sounds like your doing every thing good
im not sure about the formula 1 never used it
you could test for phosphates and nitrates like every month that would help

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I agree with Chris. If we are pretending that you are a newbie, then you should be testing your water more often.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You didn't mention one of the other most important things people always forget.. flow. What do you use to provide water movement inside the display?

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Now that the 46 bowfront is a reef again .... (and my whole attitude is that everything is all new so lets do it right) I was thinking about analyzing everyday things too.

So ...
I have a 46 bowfront, bare-cutting board bottom, drilled, with a rubbermaid sump 70' away down in the basement.
Once in the sump, the water hits a filter floss pad to help silence the waterfall.
Look into a Herbie overflow to help with the noise. FlyGuy has a different version that helps with noise also. Noise and air bubbles.

Nearly all the water is pumped through a 4" diameter x 5' tall counter current Geoff skimmer.

The water is then heated and pumped back to the tank 70' away.
Wouldn't lose as much heat if the heater were in the tank. That adds clutter to the tank though. Trade-off.

The return is a single spout angled up about 15 degrees to the left of center vertical.
What other flow is in the tank? And, what is the flow through the sump?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
And what are your goals? That'll play into any suggestions. You want a maintenance light tank? Or are you headed towards more demanding corals? Somewhere in between?

·
Berginator, The
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You didn't mention one of the other most important things people always forget.. flow. What do you use to provide water movement inside the display?
Ah ... you are right .... I use ... um ....
Nothing!

That was it ... just the return jet.

Though I do have 2 Seio M620s .. new in the box ... never opened....

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Ah ... you are right .... I use ... um ....
Nothing!

That was it ... just the return jet.

Though I do have 2 Seio M620s .. new in the box ... never opened....
What is the return rate on your pump? If that is all the flow, and it is adequate, then you could throttle it back and you would see a performance gain in your skimmer. Slower water through the sump. Then use the Seio's for in-tank flow.

·
Berginator, The
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look into a Herbie overflow to help with the noise. FlyGuy has a different version that helps with noise also. Noise and air bubbles.

Wouldn't lose as much heat if the heater were in the tank. That adds clutter to the tank though. Trade-off.

What other flow is in the tank? And, what is the flow through the sump?
My overflow is dead quiet ... designed that one just right... its the noise in the basement ... but its in the basement so who cares.

No other flow in the tank ... though I have 2 Seio M620s never opened in the box.

Lets see ... I just got ~45oz in 5 sec in the sump so ...
(45oz/5sec) * (60sec/1Min) * (1gal/128oz) = 2700/640 = 4.21gal/min

(4.2gal/1min) * (60min/1hr) = 252gal/hr through the sump and nearly all of that through the skimmer.

·
Berginator, The
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And what are your goals? That'll play into any suggestions. You want a maintenance light tank? Or are you headed towards more demanding corals? Somewhere in between?
Wow ... making me think here ... wasnt ready for that ...

Ummm ... the goal is to have a reef that makes visitors go "wow", not a "cyanno/hairy green monster"

My living room is 19' x 30' with lots of glass ... solar house ... the maximum wall space between windows in 3' feet, which is why I don't have a bigger tank.

My kids regularly have 3-15 friends visit/sleep over. The tank is 5' to the right of the 57" HD wide screen so they play x-box/game cube/wii right in front of the tank and they all sleep in front of it too. Since November, they come over and the first thing I hear when they go in the living room is "what happened to the tank?!"

Last weekend, my son's hockey team won the league championship and we had half the team on my rink for 2 days and sleep overnight ... they really miss the tank.

For me ... it never looked good because I don't have the time to care for it ... so when it leaked outside and down the street I saw it as an opportunity to "do it right", automate a bunch of stuff in the basement, make the waterchanges, testing etc easier to do or automatic.

I don't know anything about hard and soft stoneys. but I know I like my leather finger, mushrooms, and the yellow polyps. I would like to have a real anonme that the clowns can sleep in. I would like to keep a clam. I would like to keep a Ricordia Polyp and some of those colorful button things.

Really want a tiny yellow tang and tiny (whatever Nemo's buddy is) but the tank is too small ... dangit.

Does this help?

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
If you do not want it to be a cyano factory then break out the SEIO's now. Of course it feeds off phosphates, but low flow in your system can really give it a good place to get a strong foothold.

I like the way you are doing it over this time and the fact that you are taking your time and trying to do everything the right way. Hopefully it will all pay off in the long run and your results will be much better this time.

·
Berginator, The
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you do not want it to be a cyano factory then break out the SEIO's now. Of course it feeds off phosphates, but low flow in your system can really give it a good place to get a strong foothold.

I like the way you are doing it over this time and the fact that you are taking your time and trying to do everything the right way. Hopefully it will all pay off in the long run and your results will be much better this time.
One or two Seios? Placement? Timed or constant? Alternating? Stream direction?

I'm trying ... It took me 4 years to build this addition ... I bought and set up the tank for fresh water because some folks I know said siclids were more colorful ... when I went to the LFS to buy some I saw the SW fish first and bought them instead. So making the conversion to SW was a lot harder than just planning on SW from the beginning ... so I saw the leak out as a blessing and not a problem.
Sounds weird eh?

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
You could try one to start with and see how it sorks for you. They cannot be run on wavemakers, unless you buy their "special" controller, so this leaves you with having to run it constantly. I would place it at the end of the tank that is furthest away from your overflow, near the bottom, and have the stream pointing in the direction of the overflow. Then test to see if that gives you a nice bit of water movement in the display. It should also help lift detritus off your bare bottom and up into the water column so it can go for a ride down the overflow. If it does then you have a back up powerhead, if not then you can add the other one at the opposite end at a different height and point it toward the first one.

HTH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts