The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was around the LA area and found this nice LFS and they had a 50% of sale i walked in an saw something called a leather. It had something that looks like finger polyps. The guys told me all it needs is calcium but did not look very convincing. Is there anything else it needs like iron or calcium. Would Purple Up be a enough supplment??? ill take some pics and post them. So far my metalic star polyps i have had for 2 and a half months are doing great and i really dont put anything in for them but this is a leather so any tips for these???

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Do you have a picture of it? I'm not sure that leathers being a soft coral require more calcium than water changes would supply

·
Administrator
46,848 Posts
Your purple up stuff is prolly a calcium/magnesium supplement so it should be fine, You do use decent test kits to measure Calcium/Alkilinity/ and pH Right?

·
Administrator
46,848 Posts
Red Sea is OK for the basic ammonia, nitrite,nitrate tests but I recommend the Salifert kits for calcium and alkilinity. I really recommend getting a refractometer and a pH monitor like a Pinpoint or similar.
pH test kits and cheap hydrometers are close enuff for a marine fish tank but you really want more accuracy when trying to keep delicate reef organisms happy and healthy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts