The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved my Maxima from the sand bed to a nice ledge yesterday. Upon second glance when arriving from work, I was concerned that it would get knocked off. Well I picked it up and didn't feel any resistance but the clam had attached it's self to the rock work. Obviously it was happy where it was and now I fear it may be messed up. There were a couple of strands hanging from it and left on the rock. It has opened up today but I am concerned that it will go down hill. What should I do? Is it going to die over time? Since it's in the sand bed now, should I move it back to the place I had moved it from?? I am not an expert with the clams but I have 3 now. Any advice would be great.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Ouch you shouldnt have done that,now all you can do is hope for the best I wouldnt touch him again.:)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I am afraid that he will not get enough light in the DSB. Are you sure that I should't move it back? It looked alot happier on the rock work closer to the lights. My fear was it getting knocked over. Now that I know he would attach himself i am not as concerned about that now. I understand that you said not to move it but I fear that he won't get enough light.

Also when you want to move your clam what should you do?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
go ahead and move him back to the rock and leave him alone :)
Put a small shell under him that he can attach to,so you can move him:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
If what was left was only byssal thread the clam should be fine. If the entire byssal gland or foot was torn out the clam will show signs of stress and die. To me it doesn't sound like what was torn was anything more than byssal thread. Still I would find a place for the clam and leave it. These clams can get stressed from jumping off, bailing out or being moved too many times. If the clam looked good and was happy in the rocks I'd move it back and maybe place a few small pieces of rock rubble around it so it can reattach and then you can remove the rubble.

If the clam has extended it's mantle since the thread was torn out it should be ok. I would still be careful and watch it and make sure it doesn't get anything picking at the opening til it heals.

HTH...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts