The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes i can put the remora in the sump but the water will be falling about 5 " and im at my water noise point already since this is in my bedroom............so after much thought and suggestions i have desided on a ASM G-1............is does up to 100 gallon tanks................my next and LAST tank will be a 75...........this is my dream tank because

1) i hate water changes so anything over 10gal a week is annoying to me
2) and anything over that i would need 2 jobs

anyway what are you guys thought on this skimmer for my 45

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I would consider the G-2. Most manufacturers over rate equipment by alot. Plus, the stronger the skimmer the better. The skimmer is one of, if not the, most important pieces of equipment in the system. If your going to upgrade to the 75 then get a bigger skimmer now so you dont end up having to buy another one in the future. This is speaking from experience! Might even consider the g-3. That 100g rating is mis leading. You may not want to spend the money now but if you dont you will in the future for a bigger skimmer or for livestock and and what ever methods you try to clean up a nutrient rich tank. A little more money now will save you alot in the future not to mention frustration.

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Thenb maybe consider sometthing stronger that will fit or build a new stand! Skimmers are very important. If you want a healthy 75 then plan for it and get whats needed, not what will fit. In adequate skimming will result in major issues that you wont be able to keep up with and your tank wont be succesfull. Im telling you this because we see it all the time. Just trying to save you some headaches.

Robert

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
god build a stand i can barely build a peanut butter/ jelly sandwich............if i had plans i could but i suck at the planning part

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
There are plenty of folks around here to help with that! The stand doesnt have to be elaborate, basically a frame work that is skinned with some nice looking ply or some kind. If you have or can borrow some basic tools youll be all set. Alittle patience and attention to detail and youre all set! In the long run, you will be much happier this way. My first stand was too short, planned it before I new all of what was involved in the hobby. Made things a real pain. part of keeping things clean is making the maintainence as easy as possible (at least for me!) and in the long run it pays off.

Robert

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,652 Posts
I agree with Motor, you can't over-skim, and if it were me I would get the G3 (If Beckett's didn't exist of course). A skimmer is not something to skimp on, if you don't have the money now, save, it will be worth it.

This is coming from somebody who has a skimmer rated for 250 gallons, on a 15 gallon nano, and I even upgraded the needle wheel pump for more performance.

Building a stand is tricky, but not impossible. I built all mine, and couldn't put a nail in a board before I started the one for my 125. I had somebody teach me some things about tools and woodwork, and help me out, is there somebody near by that is good with woodwork you can ask? You can get plans on the internet and talk to anyone who has built anything and they should be able to guide you.

How much room do you currently have? Stand bottom to tank bottom? I find it odd that even a factory stand would be too low for this skimmer, do you have your sump elevated in any way?

Whiskey

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh my father can do it.....if i had plans..............the stand i have now is about 36 1/2 wide and about 25" high and 11" deep

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
If you do build a new stand, have doors on the ends as well as the front. being able to get in the stand and get to all the equipment makes a huge difference. I would also make it deeper than the tank by at least six inches. This way there is room for plumbing and such in the back. As much space as possible is the key. Decide on the equipment youll be getting and then build the stand to fit it and leave a little extra room. Youll use it!

Robert

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
so the asm is better than the remora? Im looking to switch out my crappy sealife systems skimmer and was thinking of getting one of the 2. Does the remora not skim that well? If its just the splashing of the water coming out of the skimmer, cant you just attach some tubing to the output and bring the tubing down into the water at some sort of angle to avoid the splashing?

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
I am in the exact predicament at the moment. I have a Remora Pro and I'm looking for a good sump skimmer for my 75g. I have doing some research and found that the ASM G-Series skimmers are the best bang for the buck (I'm sure some can negate that, but anyway). I think I'm going with the G3; it's way over my tank size, but I'll be thanking my stars when we have a heavy bioload.

BTW - look at www.asmskimmer.com for prices. They seem to be way cheaper than any other etailer out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts