The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been planning this for a while now and I am about to pick up a 40 gallon column aquarium for use as a seahorse tank. Other than a chiller, and the usual things required for a reeftank, what else do I need? As its 40 gallons, I plan on using a HOB filter. What do I need for lighting? What is a good substrate?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey Seasalt,
It really depends on what else you plan to keep with them. Are you going to be using live rock and will you be adding any non stinging corals like gorgonia or Zoas and mushrooms. The seahorses themselves don't need a lot of flow or light.
My 46 gallon tank has a canister filter and 2 maxi jets, one a 900 and a 1200 with a hydor reflector to break up the flow. I try to keep low flow through out the tank and then turn off the power heads when I feed them. I have a pc light, But I only run one 48 watt 50/50 now. That's plenty for me to keep my purple coraline algae and all the macro algea going Strong.
I know people who keep them with standard fluorescent lights. Which will also grow Macros.
Jan

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I need LR in a seahorse tank? If I need it, then yes, I will obviously be having it, but if I don't need it, then no, I probably wont bother. Its going to be seahorses and plants only, no coral, and no fish of any other kind.
I am guessing then the stock lighting for this tank would be enough? I do have an extra orbit kicking around if its not, but I dont want to use it if I dont have to. Why would I need macro algae in a seahorse tank? Is this something that is required? I like your idea of a canister filter actually, I think I will use that instead of a HOB. I like them better.

Thanks for the info so far :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
No you don't need live rock at all. I just prefer some to help with the bioload which is high. Macros are just saltwater plants. Seahorses like to hunt and play in it.
One of the favorite tanks I have seen pictures of just had a sand bottom with Roman column's and macro algaes It was awesome. I will try to find the picture for you.

·
Registered
397 Posts
They do better if you can keep the temp in the low to mid 70's. Temperature spikes seem to really bring on all kinds of bacterial problems for them. And in most cases once they get sick it usually doesn't end well.
I try to keep mine at 75 (My AC set at 77 - 78 degrees with a small fan blowing across the top of the tank) but its hard during the summers here in Florida since I don't have a chiller. I always keep meds and a small hospital tank handy. I think 80 degrees would spell disaster in the long run.

Jan

·
Registered
397 Posts
With just a standard tank with fluorescent lighting, which should support live rock you could probably do alright. But a chiller is the way to go. I am hoping to get one soon because I would love to bring my temps to about 72 74 and be able to stay more constant.

Jan

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When my lights are out my tanks avg. 79/80. When they come on, 82. Like you, if I were to start a seahorse tank, I would want low 70s. I have heard they can do ok @ 79, but why risk exposing them to a higher rate of disease. I will wait until I can get a chiller. It may push things off quite a while, but better to do it right the first time :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts