The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: :confused:
I just found this forum and i will most likely become a regular.

Here is my delima. I have a older 65 gal corner tank (no over flows or drilled bottem). last week a bought a new house.

Now I do not have too much in my tank but i need to move it and reset if up before thursday of this week since the power will be off at my old place that morning. I have a ehiem 225 can filter, hang on the back protiem skimmer, power head, 50 # of live rock, 3" thick live sand bottem, bi color angel, maroon clown, 4 striped damsel (which i would not mind hims disapearing(mean *** fish)), serpent star, 5 red legs and 4 blue, 20 snails, 1 queen conch.

I also need to clean off the front glass i have purple alge growing something firece and it is getting to where you can not see into the tank mind you I do not have a metal halid system yet and I do stress yet (that is my next project I want to build a new top and retro fit it.

Whats that best way for me to the tank?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW i am the worlds worst speller so you have to fogive my spelling

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

You need to get some 5 gallon buckets and maybe a brute trash can if You can , Save as much water as You can and keep the rock and the corals , fish in the buckets . Drain the tank move and clean , set it up and add everything back, You can do it in a half day no problem. Have some new clean saltwater made up to bring the level back, Good luck with the move

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one other thing i while i have the tank down would it be a good idea to replace the carbon in the canister.

I know I kinda want to relocate the power head so i can hide it behind the rocks.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
How old is the sand? If it is old you may want to replace it. Check with a couple other people here they will weigh in. I think if you take it out you will get a sulfer mess from the denitifcation zone in the sand bed.

I think that If you don't want to replace it and the tank ios not too heavy with it in there then move it with the sand in it.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
The DSB may be a problem depending on how old it is and how much has gone anoxic. i would recommend replacing all the sand with new. don't get the live stuff, just get some dry, rinse it our and put it in. then just add your LR and as much of the original tank water as you can. be ready to do a few waterchanges in the first few weeks to counter any effects from a small re-cycle.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you with us! :dance:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its only 40# of sand I could probally move it with about 2 " of water over to keep from disturbing the bed.

what brand to replace it with if I go with the replacement sand proceedure.

I wish I could afford a oceanic 65 gallon tall instead to using the corner tank again then i could use a pendent light.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I agree. Replacing the sand is easier and better for the tank in the long run than moving it. It will need to be done eventually so might as well do it while you have the tank down. Good luck with the move.

Oh yeah Welcome to TRT!

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I agree with replacing the sand bed as well. A few years ago, I moved and took my sand bed like you described with a couple inches of water in the tank. Sand and who knows what else kicked up and it smelled bad (shoulda been a BIG hint something was wrong). Anyway, got everything back into the tank, had a minicycle, but from that point on, the algae was out of control and everything slowly died (except for the algae). I will never try to move or save a sand bed again. Just use some aragonite sand - you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info on moving my tank. I got a buddy of mine and we started the move around 5:00 pm est. Drained the water removed the rocks cought the fish. It took longer to get it set back up then i thought. But I do have to say the new rock scape is awsome much better then the other way i had it all most all the powerheads are hidden now. lots of caves and openings ... and btw the 4 striped damsel that was the terror of my tank is now sitting in a 1 gal tank on my desk here at work. my other fish are all mellowed out no dominance over any certain area. I can't wait till i get the new light so i can start adding some other fish and anemonei(sp).

I will get some new pics later this afternoon of the rock scape, my bi color angel, my dotty back, and my maroon clown

1 - 15 of 15 Posts