The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 20H that presently has 126 wts PC.
1- 13wt 03 (Dawn/Dusk)
1- 55wtPC 6500K
1- 55wtPC 03

Here's my question.
I have a hood built and ready to go on same tank with this:
300wt 10,000 MH
68wtPC 03
1 - 13wt 03 (Dawn/Dusk)
1- 55wt 03 act supp.
2 x 150wt 10,000KMH (seperate controllers)

Present lighting schedule is:
2100 - 13wt on
2200 - 110wt PC on/ 13 wt off
0700 - 13wt on/ 110 PC off
0800 - 13wt off

What do you suggest that I run for a lighting schedule to get my little guys acclimated to the new lights without anyone freaking out?

Present residents:
Fish: 1 False Perc, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Potters Angel
Coral: 1 Cap, Digita, Stag, Birdsnest Frags, 2 Zoe Rocks,
1 carpet Anemone, 1 finger leather, 1 button rock, 2 heads Frogspawn

Any suggestions are apprecited. I want to get this hood on tomorrow night, this time. I am just waiting for PVC glue to dry.

·
Registered
585 Posts
take a look at it this way.... someone who has not been in the sun goes to Southern CA for a vacation, and lays out for 8 hours. What do you have. Fried person.

I suggest you start off by turning on the MH for a couple hours a day, and increasing the lenght of time slowly. It should take about 2 weeks or so before you have them on a normal schedule.

Just my opinion

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
since you have 2 150mh over a 20H i would think you would need to take even longer to get them up to full sun. i would do what squid said for two weeks with just one mh on. then for the next 2 weeks do the same thing with that first one on and the second mh doing the same procedure you did for the first light.

wowsers that is a lot of light in a 20g. how are you cooling it?

G~

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
That does seem to be a lot of light. I would start with them on for 1-2 hours in the middle of the cycle. Run this for at least 1 week and then, once a week to once every 2 weeks, add 15 mins to each end of the cycle till you get them to the desired length of time you want. Take your time and watch the tank temps as well as the reaction you get from the corals.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, lots of light. Gotta keep up with Stoney Reef.

Cooling it with 2 x 4" fans in the canopy, 1 x 7" fan in cabinet blowing on 7 gal sump, Ice Probe, reverse light cycle.

·
Registered
384 Posts
run them 2 hrs on, 30mins off, 2 on, 30 off, 2 on, 30 off, etc and slowly add to that 2 hours....you gotta build up their photosynthesizing abilities, if you expose them to too much right about, then you'll toast 'em

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.