The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hidey ho neighbors :D

ok, i got all my plumbign done yesterday and today. none of it is glued though, pending a review from my peers :)

well, the cls is glued up, because that was reviewd a while ago, but i added a few outlets to it.

so here is the overview.

tank drains via a 1.5" elbow, into a 1.5" bulkhead. immediatley converts to a 1.25" durso standpipe outside the tank. the inside drain elbow will be hidden behind a 6"x6" overflow made of black acrylic to blend with the rest of the tank and stand.

durso standpipe goes under the tank into a T fitting. the T fitting splits for two drains, one to the sump, one to the refugium.

both drains are fitted with a ball valve to control how much flow goes to each one. the fuge drain is sort of long, but is also angled and enters the fuge from the top. the sump drain is also angled and enters the sump, on the other side from where the return pump to tank will sit.

refugium drains via another 1.5" elbow and 1.5" bulkhead, then converts to a 1.25" drain line that is angled and goes into the sump.

return pump will sit on the left side of the sump, closer to the tank, so it will have less hosing on it. planning to use flexible hose and barbs for the return, so that it doesnt have to fight with a bunch of elbows.

i've built a 4 valve return manifold for the tank. considering trying out geoffs diy becket design to get a little more power from the returns. return manifold is 1/2" pvc, that will be fed via 3/4" flexible hose from a mag 9.5 return pump.

the cls is made of 1/2" pvc as well. all the outlets are fitted with caps, that have a 1/4" hole drilled in the end of them. i added another 4 outlets on the cls, that are above the cls return hole, so that i could get some flow directly in the water column instead of just below the rocks. these still need to be fitted with caps and have the 1/4" holes drilled in them. also, the bottom manifold for the cls, was originally designed for a 5-6 inch dsb.. but i have decided to go with 2-3 inches instead, so all of the lower outlets will be cut shorter so they'll still be hidden, and will remove about 1.5 feet from the overall head of the cls. also, the two taller pipes on the right side, were built to have a large rock on top and sides, to create a cave. the two top tubes have been drilled underneath and create sort of a waterfall inside the cave.

cls pump will be a new style quiet one 6000 pump (1500 gph @ 4' head) i should get pretty good flow from the cls, even though there are alot of elbows. for a few reasons. the cls pump will sit in the cabinet next to the durso standpipe. so there will be virtually no verticle head, only horizontal head. and the cls will only be fed/returned through about 2.5 feet of hose.

i'm thinking it would be best to run the cls pump on hose rather than pvc, so it doesnt have to compete with even more elbows :)

i THINK that's about it!! :D thanks for any and all advice before i glue all this stuff in place.

if you think of anything that is redundant, or should be added, please let me know.

first photo.. a wide shot of the front of the tank, look at all that pvc :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is an overall shot of the drain system.

notice, the two drains are both on an angle to help faciliate draining. and to hopefully prevent too much back pressure.

notice i also bought black ball valves instead of the common red ones.. so it matches the stand :D :funny:

the coupler is there because i got ahead of myself when i first built the durso and i glued the union in place...but forgot to put hte center part of the union on first :eek: so i had to cut the drain line and repair with a coupler. :rolleyes: since then i have not glued anything in place :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is a closeup of the durso. i left the side and back of the tank clear, where the overflow will be at, so i can see inside to inspect for any algae buildup, trapped fish, etc...

i've never built a durso before, only a stockman. hopefully i did it right. and hopefully it will work ok being outside the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a close up of the T fitting and the two ball valves. also shows how the two drains are angled.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is the drian coming from the fuge to the sump.. notice it has to make a few turns, i didnt want it to interfere with the placement of the return pump or the return hosing.

it just dawned on me that there is no durso on the fuge.. should there be one? not sure if it's necessary or not with a slower flow. or since its only like 2 bucks, should i add one anyway jsut to be safe?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is probably the only thing that concerns me in the whole setup. the drain from the tank, to the fuge, is a pretty long run. i put it on an angle, so that hopefully it wont have to be an issue. i have it entering the fuge at about center.

the fuge drain to sump, has the same size durso and bulkhead, and will have the same size overflow inside, albeit a little shorter :)

Attachments

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
i think your setup looks great you should have tons of movement. i hope i'm wrong, but i think you are going to need a pump somewhere in the 2500-3000 gph range to create flow thru that much pvc.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and finally a little bit better shot of the return manifold and the top outlets of the cls.

the return is 1/2" as is everything else. and will be fed via 3/4" hose from a mag 9.5 that will be insump.

naturally none of the outlets will be glued into place, so they can all be pointed/adjsuted to direct flow where it's needed.

the top part of the cls is right in front of where the cls drain will be i nthe center of the tank. so i put on a few elbows and brought those out a bit from the back wall, to make room for the drain cover.

for the drain cover, i'm jsut goign to put on a T fitting with a length of pipe on each side, and a boat load of holes drilled in them, and then capped on the ends. this will hopefully draw in water from many spots instead of one. to give better current, as well preventing any fish or critters from entering the cls.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
crap i just posted a huge post that got lost somewhere :rolleyes:

ok, short version... here is a shot of how everything will be setup after they all come in.

precision marine cv426 skimmer (bought from casey) will be on the far right side of sump, powered by a mag 7 pump. (the yellow and grey boxes)

kalk reactor (purchased from stoney reef) will sit in front of the sump between sump and doors) and shouldnt limit access to ball valves or the skimmer for maintenance. (pink box)

ca reactor (also from stoney reef) will be in front of the sump as well ,and next to the kalk reactor. should not limit access to the return pump or ball valves. the c02 container and regulator for the ca reactor will wit on the shelf behind the fuge.(purple box)

the return pump will be a mag 9.5 on the far left side of the sump, closest to the tank, and will feed a 3/4" hose to the return manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the compliment on the setup.. been working long enough on it :rolleyes:

i hoep you are wrong too on the pomp needs :funny:

actually it should be pretty decent. when i first tested the cls i used a cap2200 which only really has about 500 gph. and thats probably being generous. i tested it using 5' of hose and it was shooting the water a good foot out of each outlet. not sure if it was because i have smaller holes drilled in the ends (1/4") and that helped create some pressure in the system,. though it may also have been because it was on the deck in the backyard, and had not water "around" it to limit the flow.

either way, i'm really hoping it doesnt need a bigger pump. if it does i have a simple option.

i can split the cls in two. and use the bottom bulkhead to feed half of it, and the top bulkhead to feed the other half, and then just have a small manifold hanging over the top of the tank, for the feed to the pump.. and then jsut pick up another quiet one 6000 to run the otehr half of the cls.. but, naturally, i'm hoping it doesnt come to that :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
HOLY crap, you should have let me know I should have purchased stock in the PVC suppliers in your area! Don't get too high off the primer and glue fumes! I agree with the pump, I would think you will need an ampmaster! (*grin*) to run that much tubing. An ideal pump would be a iwaki 70 rlt! now then you would have some flow! Now imagine all those covered in coralline! talk about an awesome flow pattern in the tank!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:funny: well one thing is for sure.. Lowe's loves me :D

i'm gonna test the cls as soon as the pump gets here. it was shipped today.. .so, if all else fails, the cls isn't glued in place, so i can just separate it, and turn it into two single cls's and add a second pump.

then i'll just use that outlet as another inlet, and put a monifold over the top of the tank for the input to the two pumps. we'll see in a few short days :)

might be cool like that anyway, because then maybe i could put the pumps on timers or a wave maker?

i've already ordered and paid for the quiet one 6000 so it HAS to work :funny: for at least half the cls!!

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
well, its good that you have that option, i started out with what i thought was plenty of flow in my tank. 1 year later i had to double what i thought was enough. the corals just dont know when its time to stop growing. like all other aspects of this hobby , you just cant get enough. and from watching your progression in this hobby, i can always say to my wife see look at him, i'm not that bad.:)

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of PVC. looks great. i think you will end up needing a dursa on the refuge. i have a feeling air will want to sneak up that pipe and cause some gurgling. hard to imagine a stagnant area anywhere in that tank.:dance:

where are you going to remove the detritus from? will there be sponges on intakes, or are you think it will settle in the sump and refuge to be siphoned out later?

G~

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
geoff: i'm hoping that with slower flow through the refuge and sump, that detritus will settle in one of them and then i can jsut siphon it out when i do water changes.

lise: you might as well plan on another pump order in a week or two :funny:

wasabi: see, i'm good for something lolol i make everyone else seem tame..

although, you all are partly to blame.. i jsut gotta keep up with everyone else :) i swore i'de never have a use for a ca reactor.. not to mention, room for it....but oh no,, 3 or four emails with patrick and he's got me convinced that i'll make room for one :D

see, i think lise is secretly emailing everyone to tell me one pump isn't enough, so i'll buy more stuff :funny: :funny:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lololol :funny: :funny:

oh yeah that's right.. almsot forgot. i'll be the guinea pig for a new ca design.. so it might not actually work :D :eek: :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts