The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone;
I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a ro/di unit. After chatting with all of you I wish I would have bought one along time ago. The questions I have are. Can I just hook them up to my kitchen faucet? I'm a mechanical idiot and just know I would mess it up if I tried to hook it up under the sink. Once I buy the unit do I have to put stuff in the treated water before putting it in the tank? I also read it has to be hooked up to the cold water side. How do I get it to the correct temp(see I told you the questions were dumb)?
Thanks everyone!

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Not dumb at all! I don't know how they work either! When I see them hooked up it sure looks complicated with all those lines running everywhere... and then it seems that it strips absolutely everything out of your water, good and bad, so you have to add all that stuff back to your tank again... sounds like a lot of extra work if you don't mind hair algae! :rotflmao:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one intimidated by these things. I'm more concern with my nitrates that wont seem to come down.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I have my RO/DI unit mounted to the wall by my sink in the laundry room, that way it doesn't interfere with anything going on in the kitchen sink. If you have a secondary sink/faucet you can use, that's probably best. My unit came with every thing, including the mounting hardware, and instructions on how to hook it up. You cannot use hot water it destroys the membrane but it's easier than you think to hook it up.

I also bought a pressure meter with it so I can tell when the water pressure is too high - some of the RO units come with them. You can't run your water full force or the membrane will blow - -

Good luck
HHC

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at one on ebay and it comes with a faucet adapter and that looks really good to the mechanical idiot. I wrote them and asked what to do if for some reason it doesn't fit. HHC- I would only be using for the tank and if I read the web page right I can still use my faucet while using the r/o unit I just have to switch the adapter off. I live in a small apt in ny so I don't have the luxury of a laundry room(but would really love to have one). So if I can't run hot water through it how do I get it to the right temp? Do I nuke some of the treated water?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
The units come with adaptors that you will manage to hook up to youre faucet after much tinkering without any leakage. There is a carbon blok in most of them that will removed all chlorines. Chlorine destroys the membrane

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
You can pretty easily hook it up below the sink. You just need the right parts from a hardware store, and I recommend a valve to turn it off. I attached a pic... my RO is connected to my washing machine cold water faucet, but it's the same principle as connecting it under the sink.

You also need to connect the waste water outlet to a drain.

As far as temp, if you connect it to the cold water pipe, there's no problem.

Attachments

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Got mine connected with a Y adapter and have the hose end hooked to the cold water connection in my laundry room. The Y is available at Walmart for maybe three bucks and the hose end just hooks up to one side. Turn on the valve and off you go making wonderful water.

·
Registered
307 Posts
partobe said:
Can I just hook them up to my kitchen faucet?
go to HomeDepot, or Lowes, or Sears, during a slow weekday (not at night and NOT on the weekends when 2nd shift dumbaxx workers are there) and ask for the Plumbing Dept Mgr....they have RO units in stock.....and ask alot of questions.

partobe said:
I'm a mechanical idiot and just know I would mess it up if I tried to hook it up under the sink.
if you DIY....you will end up spending more money, frustrate the heck out of yourself and have a halfaxx rig on your hands. call all your friends and family to see if they know of a plumber who works 'on-the-side' at night during 'off' hours. the install is no more than 1hr work for a good plumber. HAVE THEM QUOTE THE JOB and not per hour. total job should around be $100. you may also stumble across a friend or distant familymember who has good plumbing skills they'd probably do it in exchange for beer and pizza.....keep the beer out of sight until AFTER the job ;-)

partobe said:
Once I buy the unit do I have to put stuff in the treated water before putting it in the tank?......How do I get it to the correct temp(see I told you the questions were dumb?
the RO unit has some type of value or faucet for you to get the water out of the RO tank:

1) tap the RO tank water and put in a 50gal plastic garbage can (with wheels!) or whatever rig you come up with....hopefully your tank, your RO unit and plans to keep this can all are on the same floor-level!!!! SW is about 8lbs per gallon of weight...making the garbage can impossible to move from one level to another.

2) you then add InstantOcean saltmix and other chemical you use

3) you then HEAT the water with an extra submersible aquarium heater

4) you use an airpump and an airstone and age the water for 1 day until water temp is exactly at your tank temp.....

5) BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THE ELECTRICAL DEVICES such as the heater and airpump. have them plugged into a Ground-Fault-Interrupt (GFI) receptacle (if you have a newer home - you have one of these right next to your bathroom sink) (have one installed where you plan to keep your aquarium garbage can)

6) then you pump the water out using a tube connected to a powerhead....and the powerhead is laying on the bottom of the garbage can

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ok no such thing as dumb questions espesially here.

1. how ever you hook up you ro/di unit DO NOT use a copper line puncture clamp (this is a clamp that covers the copper line and then you screw a pin into the line that then feeds the water to the RO/DI unit.) over time they leak and will cause problems. I would turn off the cold water supplie to the sink or the hot water heater or where ever you are going to put it then install a TEE. from there you will reconnect the line back to what ever device it was suppling (ie hot water or sink) on the other part of the TEE connect the fitting to the RO/DI unit. run the waste water line to a drain and the clean water to a container or some sort.
If you take the unit to the store the plumbing people should be able to assist you with all of the neccessarty fitting required for the installation.

mine is from home depot and makes 25 gal per day it get stored in a tank that came with the kit and is also hooked up to the frige so I can have clean water in my ice and to drink.

plus everybody here would be able to help with a couple of pics.

as for the temp what ever you store the water in will be room temp and it does not make water so fast that it will be colder.

Fred

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Heh!

I have all the stuff to do an install for Cath so she can use a RO/DI machine, one of these days I will get a round tuit...

since her birthday my work schedule seems to have jumped in the way of having any time to do projects... :rolleyes:

excuse of the week
;)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
oh yeah, btw, thee are no dumb questions here on TRT unless they go unasked...

There's a lot to learn by everyone (including me) here about keeping corals in closed systems.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mine is hooked up to the kitchen sink. It's a lovely addition to my kitchen counter!! The company we purchased our RO/DI from also offered the adapter. I'm also a technical idiot and thought I was going to have a hard time hooking it up. Let me tell you, if I can do it anyone can!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ok I love that copper line screw in tap, not only does it make the whole installation take about 5 minutes it can be used as an on/off valve.
If it goes bad or leaks 'over time' you can replace it for like $5.
(just remember to put it over the tap turn off valve, and put the hose in before tapping.

Any way RO is the one easy installation for your whole saltwater hobby.
3 lines
1. Taps into copper cold water lead under sink (use that puncture valve)
2. Drill 1/4inch into sink waste line pvc and SILICONE the pipe (dont drill through it and hit hte otehr side ;))
3. Goes onto some sort of tank. (save and collect water)

Essentially that is it.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK I'm going to home depot tomorrow and look at what they have. Not to buy but to take a look and see if it is as intimidating in person as it is on line. I know it may be easier when I see it but it sounds like something I could really mess up. What I hoping for is something I can hook up to the faucet and only use it when I need water for the tank all other times switch the valve for reg tap with out disconnecting the ro unit.
Thanks everyone for all the help!
Patrick

·
Registered
345 Posts
Buy one on Ebay. there is another thread that has 100gpd ro for like 90 bucks with shipping..
You will not have trouble hooking it up and since ur in the city if u want to drive an hour north you can look at mine ! :)
It really is super easy to install.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not going to home depot to buy just look at before I buy. I found one on ebay I like for 100 bucks with shipping and the faucet connector should be less that 150. I just replied to your thread btw about your tank leaking. Really sorry to hear that

·
Registered
345 Posts
yea thanks, also you can get a faucet model for less I think I saw one on ebay for like 70 ?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll have to take a look. I might have seen the one you are talking about but it didn't say for aquarium tanks. The one I saw said for aquarium water. Was that just a selling line?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts