The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took nearly two years before finally getting this tank setup, but I finally got it up and running. Not completed, just filled with water and everything has been provided the stuff it needs to thrive. This summer I plan on building a new stand and canopy for it. I wasn't happy with the way my canopy ended up so I didn't bother staining it. It's just a wooden box that holds the lights. The stand is just an AGA pine stand. There's not enough room under the tank for a large enough sump and it's not easily accessible.

Equipment:
BB 75g AGA tank drilled with internal overflow
250w XM 10k halides on IC ballasts
T5 actinics
Octo TS150 needlewheel skimmer (mesh and gate valve modded)
20g sump w/ external Eheim 1260 return pump
Vortech MP40 running full speed on reefcrest mode
2 MJ 1600 mod pumps for additional detrius stirring in back

Livestock:

Fish
  • 3 green chromis
  • ocellaris clownfish
  • yellow tang
  • sixline wrasse
  • algae blenny
  • lyretail anthia
Inverts
  • 2 cleaner shrimp
  • peppermint shrimp
  • pencil urchin
  • various snails and hermits
Corals
  • Mainly SPS (Acros & Montis)
  • A few LPS (Caulastrea, Hammer and torch coral)
  • button polyps
  • shrooms that I can't get rid of
And the pictures

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice pics! I like the platform to keep the rock off the bottom too.
Thanks. I went round and round on how to keep the rockwork elevated. I initially built some big, ugly pvc stands. They would have been a huge eye sore had I used them. I already bought the HDPE for the bottom and it wasn't thick enough to drill and put in acrylic pegs (FlyGuy rack???). I opted for fiberglass rod from 3/8" driveway markers. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and I think the drill bit I used had a lot to do with me not cracking any of the rock. Once the rock was drilled, I put a marble sized ball of epoxy in the hole and twisted in the rods.

Wow, don't know how I missed this but your set up looks incredible.

Is the last picture a Pokerstar montipora? That is a color that I do not have in my collection yet.
You got it. I just picked it up last week along with a bunch of other frags. I can't wait for it to grow onto the rock work.

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Wow your tank is beautiful and looks like your pretty handy with a camera. ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
whats that pink acro? its hella sick, makes me want to take a pic of my birdsnest frag. I rlly need a good camera >:C
Not sure which one you're talking about, but the one 'really' pink coral is a pink birds nest. The other that has a pinkish tint to it is the result of a bad photographer (me). That one I bought as a purple acro.

The pink birds nest if definately my fastest grower and the most tolerant of any changes (new tank, new lights, etc). I just wish it would encrust over the plug it's on to cover the thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts