The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I currently have a 20gal FOWLR with a 3 inch DSB. I recently purchased a 75gal and plan on going BB with it I also plan on makeing rock shelves out of pvc. I really like the look of the BB its so clean and I think it will help reflect light back to the under side of the corals. :banana: I'm glad I found a place where other people like BB as much as I do. Its going to be a long process getting the new tank up and running, but with any luck should have it up and running in 4 months. I'll keep you all posted with pics and updates as I make progress!

Mike :beer:

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
mike welcome to the sandless crazies club ! i think you will like it . 75 gal is perfect for getting your feet wet without sand between your toes :agree: !
your thought on the reflected light will hold true , until the coraline algae grows on it ! you have decided at a good time too as there is so much updated information on bare bottom . good luck and keep us posted !
by the way were all going back to sand in 6 months :p :p :thumbup: !

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Mike welcome to the club:thumbup: Lets us know if we can help in anyway.:)

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome looking forward to getting to know all of you !

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm stoked just paypaled the dough for my new EuroReef skimmer for the 75 BB. Cant wait to get my hands on it!! next on the list of ingredients would be the Starboard!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hey Mike, congrats on the BB tank and new skimmer...Did you ever think about going without the board! I'm just getting rid of my board as it trapped a lot of stuff underneath-I don't think everyone comes across this problem, but if you like the BB look you might want to do it without the board. Either way looking forward to your posts!

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about going without the board,but i really dont want to drill rock and stick it together. I like the looks of the board with tempered glass on the bottom if for some strange reason a big rock fell and broke the glass i'd be really mad at myself!! LOL

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok it's been awhile, but work has been nuts. Good news is I got my skimmer and its in one piece!!! I also have water in the tank. Right now its full of diatoms though. Next stop is the canopy build up and lights I'll post some pics when i'm feeling a little less lazy!

Great to Back!!

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok heres my skimmer it showed up in one piece so thats always good :banana: Its a EuroReef but i'm not sure on the model # I think its a CS-80 but not sure? Well anyway i'll get a few more pictures rounded up and posted in the next week or so!

Cheers Mike
:beer:

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so my canopy is built and my plumbing is in but my overflow isnt keeping up. I'm useing a MAG 7 on the return and not sure what the overflow is rated for since its DIY. Is there a way to throttle back the MAG?

·
11,345 Posts
Ok so my canopy is built and my plumbing is in but my overflow isnt keeping up. I'm useing a MAG 7 on the return and not sure what the overflow is rated for since its DIY. Is there a way to throttle back the MAG?

You should always put a ball valve on the return line(s) anyway IMO, and it will be a way to throttle it back.

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow thats pretty straight forward now if i could just will a ball valve into the works LOL. Thanks alot for the tip, I'll post pictures of the final project it looks like a bomb went of in this palce with all the plumbing and stuff that i did yesterday, not to mention the small flood that took place when I turned the return off and forgot to break the siphon LOL. But what are all those spare bath towels for anyway. Welp I'm off to home depot woooooooooooooooooooooosh!

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got a used IC 660 VHO setup but i'm switching over to the T-5's. So i made it over to the LFS yesterday and they only had two sets of endcaps and standoffs so they had to order more, but i did bite the bullet and buy my bulbs wow those things are spendy. But I think I got just what i needed, they are all giesman bulbs, 1 superatinic, 1daytime actinic,1aquablue,1 50/50. my biggest problem is i cant find 18 gauge solid core wire rated for 600v. But i might be able to make it work without adding any length. The other problem is it sounds like a ****. waterfall in my apartment followed by someone "flushing the toilet" every two seconds. This weir is noisy and the water splashing into the sump from the skimmer output is driving me guano crazy, any suggestions?
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
welp didnt find what i needed at home depot tomorrow is my day off and i'll have to go to the electrical supply company for the wire. I cant wait to get these lights fired up and get some life in this tank!! The fish in the 20 gallon just sit and stare at the 75 LOL

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Woah just let figure out my plumbing first then i'll get back to you ont that whole Turbo-Euro thing LOL

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Is this a reef ready tank?
If so, how far does the water fall in to the overflow? you want to have a pipe almost all the way up to where the teeth of the everflow are, this will reduce the waterfall sound. Also, the water going in to the sump, you want the pipe to go almost to the bottom of the sump, I think mine is like 2" from the bottom, this way there is no splashing.
Good luck and welcome to BB tanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts