The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh my Starfish!!!!!Pic attached.

My poor little guy!! He climbed to the top of a rock last night and then this am, when the anenome stretched out.....he stung the *&*&%$##$%% out of him. He has flesh hanging off 4 of his tiny arms. Question is....do I leave it and let nature take care of things or would it be best to amputate him? He looks like he lost a fight with a blender!!! I know they are resilient but to what degree? Anyways.....amputate or not?
TIA

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
I would leave him and let nature take it's course. However I don't have any experience with this situation so maybe someone else can advise.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I agree as it is amazing how our critters can come back to full health when it doesn't look possible!:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK guys. Im putting my trust in you here. Tomorrow, if I can, I'll get a photo. Then if by some miracle, he lives, I can do a before and after. Wish him luck!!!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Which Sea star? Pix will tell, I imagine, but it would be good to know which one...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a pic of the little guy this am.

I dont know what kind of starfish this is. Hes small, about the size of a silver dollar point to point. Feels leathery and is very flat. He crawled up the glass in the night (prob. to avoid scavangers). Bits of him are blowing around the tank. He looks just awful.....anyone want a really nice piece of live rock? Ive got one for ya!!!!!

OhYou get a condy anenome to go with it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Nicole,

I hope your little star survives but you do need to get an ID on it before it grows larger. Some of the leathery stars can be detrimental to your LR critters.

Here's some pics of common varieties....any resemblance to these?

http://www.seashells.org/identcatagories/starfish.htm

Dick:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, sorry. Doesnt look like any of those. LFS said it would stay that small. Circle your forefinger and thumb. Thats about his size, point to point (OK, hes a little shorter now). Flat, leathery, orangish/red with teeny tiny black spots.

ID, anyone????

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Lisa had a brittle start tangle with an anemone, tang or soemthing. It looked horrible. Justin put it in his refugium and we assumed it passed away some months ago. Now he had two little starfish with two and three big arms. I mean it was almost cut into two parts in her tank , and now 3 months later we find two little starfish with at least one grown up arm. kinda kewl sometimes.

Ray

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou.

How resilient are they? Hes gone down into the live rock now. Maybe I'll see him again, maybe I wont......I feel really bad for him (but prolly not as bad as he feels) ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
do you have a QT tank? if so i would put him in there and make shur he eats enof and have enof supplements.

mike

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys.

Ive had him for a while. He was just fine the day before. When i got up in the am, he was on the condy anenomes LR. Condys "arms" had been sweeping across him. I havent seen him since a few hours after that pic was taken. He might be behind the liverock...100+ lbs of it. Condy went back to the LFS. As pretty as he was, no one could go near his end of the tank lest they get stung. I'll keep yall up to date if I find him....dead or alive.
Thanks for the concern.

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's definitely a Fromia sp..
I had one completely disintegrate about a month ago, the same way yours is, and my second Fromia is starting to do the same thing.
I've had them for about 7 months now so I don't think it was the acclimation procedure. The second one isn't looking nearly as bad as the first one did, so I hope it pulls through.
It's sad to watch... :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts