The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Reefaholic
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So I've posted on TRT a couple times before and you all have been more than helpful in expanding my aquarium knowledge. Thank you for that! I figured I would make an official thread to track my progress with pictures and such. As always I'm here to learn so I welcome all feedback and suggestions! Here's whats goin on in my tank... it has been cycling for 18 days.

50 gallon (48inX13inX19)
15 pounds live rock
40 pounds dry rock
2 dead rocks straight from the ocean
Crushed Coral

Here are some pics..

RO/DI Setup

The tank setup

Live rock bridge

The "tower" of the tank

Nightlights :)

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Nice looking tank. Especially the bridge. I have always wanted a HUGE bridge like you have but its a cave entrance. Place it against the back glass that is blackened out. Use some black poster board and get some white chalk. Draw ghost like figures in the "cave" to give it some death and scare the crap out of people that don't realize what it is :D

·
Reefaholic
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I actually have no adhesive for the rocks, however they do feel secure. I just added a Peppermint Shrimp and some snails and crabs to help clean up sense the Nitrogen Cycle has ended. Pics to come soon! I may have some questions for yall from this point on, but I'll post those in another thread and keep this to mostly pictures and updates :)

·
CntntEdtr for Aquarist.Me
2,407 Posts
just add when you see they ate all of the previous ones. There should be some local groups that can help you too... its invaluable to have people who can actually be physically present to see whats going on and help you. Plus you can trade easier and help each other out wth a local group.

·
Reefaholic
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you sir! There is still plenty of diatoms and some algae growth on the rocks, so hopefully that is sufficient for them for a while. I appreciate your help. Are these local chat groups on this forum?

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Thank you. So you were saying that my algae growth is too little at this point... what will happen when the demand becomes more than the supply? It seems like I've made a crucial mistake..
If demand is more than supply then whatever is eating the supply will die off from lack of food.

·
Reefaholic
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey yall, quick update.

After one week of first livestock in tank, there has been an outbreak of what I believe to be dinoflagellates. Also several outbreaks of green algae on mostly the dry rocks. There has been a huge outbreak of little white bugs on the glass sides of my tank (pods?) that I mistakenly scrubbed of with my magfloat. I've also been adding a tablet or two of food tablets every night. Today, I added a turbo snail and noticed that one of the hermit crabs came out of it's shell.

Current levels;
SG: 1.029
pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Tank temp: 80f

Any suggestions as to where to go from here? I'm thinking it'll be ready for fish/coral in about a week.

dinos?

more dinos and green algae

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.