The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been running my 10k Ushios (250w HQI DE on Reef Optix III reflectors) for about 10 months now, and I am about to purchase a second unit for the other 1/2 of my tank (only had MH over the side of the tank w/ SPS, but I am now going 100% sps). I also run 2x 110w 48" URI VHO actinics.

With this change, however, I need to replace the Ushio, and choose the bulb for the second unit.

Should I stick with the Ushio, or take this opportunity to go with 2x 14k phoenix? (which ive heard some people are bailing from, now, after theyve been used for 6 months+).

My colors (AND GROWTH) arent that great, but I think that is mostly due to lack of feedings (I never used to feed my corals, and feed a medium-light fish bioload every 3 days).

I dont mind the color output from my VHO/10k combo, I like the crisp white; my only concern is for growth and color of the corals, however.

Please help; I should be making this decision within the week. :help:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure if they're out yet, but, I run 175W 15K Ushio's. They were supposed to come out with the 250W version, but, since I don't run 250's I have no idea if they're out. I love the color and the PAR is the highest 175W bulb available. Worth looking into.

Dave

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I used that site to pick my Ushio the first time around.. just trying to see if anything else has changed since.

Im seeing unhappy customers of Phoenix 14k's when used with DE HQI ballasts, so I am beginning to think I'll be sticking with my ushios, and either trying their new 14k or stick to the 10k and work on other issues related to the light colors of my corals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want a crisp white then you dont want pheonix. The ushio is a good bulb. But you might want to try a blv 10k. They are supposed to be made on the same line as the ushio 10k and the ones that burn a little more blue become blv. The others ushio. When I say a little more blue I still mean white.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Krux said:
what corals are showing the slowest growth?

My fastest growing coral is a blue tort.

My monti digita, which shoulda smoke it, grows a little bit slower, and a lot of my reefermadness frags grow considerably slower.

I realize there is much more "wrong" with my tank than the color of my bulb, however. Im not interested in changing bulbs for growth, but for coloration. I have been and continue to address the other issues.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PaulR said:
If you want a crisp white then you dont want pheonix. The ushio is a good bulb. But you might want to try a blv 10k. They are supposed to be made on the same line as the ushio 10k and the ones that burn a little more blue become blv. The others ushio. When I say a little more blue I still mean white.
I was told that BLV is the european branding for Ushio, and Ushio is used for the US.

Which should I believe?

Right now, I am leaving very very close to the Ushio/BLV 14k, based on the spectral plots from Sanjay. The BLV 14k actually has more overall power than the Ushio 10k!

·
Registered
260 Posts
What did you go with?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went with two Ushio 14k's.

Compared to my 10k, they were just a tiny bit more white (I say white and not blue because the 14ks still arent blue), and seemed just as bright. So far I dont see any change in coral behavior.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have aPheonix 14K on mine and thinking about switching to Ushio 14K. I have always like Ushio bulbs. But, I have not found too many threads with people running them.

Are you getting a little more color for your corals?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honestly, the difference between the 10k and the 14k isnt much at all. I cant say that ive seen a single difference that I would attribute to the lights (i am continuesly inching closer and closer towards a proper BB tank, so there are other availables affecting the balance)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Added my Ushio 14K this afternoon. I guess I need to give it some burn in time as it seems yellow to me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah; when it's burned in, I'd say it is an actual white bulb, while the ushio10k still is on the yellow side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts