The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
.....Now that I've had time for this to glaze the lips a touch.....It kinda has a 'sweetness' to it, and perhaps mentally....WATCH IT....makes you think your lips have something sticky n sweet on them. Keep catching myself checking THAT.
Hack

·
Administrator
49,206 Posts
No quality offerings here, sadly funds don't get a transfusion till Wed, having to survive on cheap bourbon and ginger Ale.
However I read that Laphroig was gonna release a 33 yr old aged in Bourbon barrel soon, it is described as hint of exotic fruit but Real Smoky, that is an Islay trademark.if I sold my house and a kid maybe ;)

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not one of your richer Friends here Doug......on a 'flush' day, I'd go as high as $100.00 for a bottle.....NOT OFTEN. But most of my cabinet comes from Family that are great 'GIFTERS'.

I've 'tasted' several 'nose bleed offerings' at local tastings, and I find that I'm not missing anything. Often times I'll take a 12 over a 25....GLADLY. But if I see that particular Laphroig at a tasting, I'll attend. THANKS!

Always have a fresh pot of joe, and ginger ale at the TRT Saturday night lounge......and after my one dram, I actually fall back to something 'UN' myself or I'd be sound asleep.

And there was a particularly pleasant pot of Hot Chocolate we just finished off over our Saturday game Night.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
BAR'S OPEN!

After mentioning this last night Rick, I figured why not......ignore the dust.

Tableware Drinkware Bottle Stemware Liquid

A Johnnie Walker Double Black......'better' but NOT twice as better'er as the Johnnie Walker Black......thus I wouldn't pay the price difference. WAIT.....hold the phone......I just looked up the prices, and a JW Double Black is $34.00, and a Black is$32.00......THE HECK WITH THAT.....yeah, I'll buy the Double Black!!!!!!

Last bottle of JW Black I bought was the Family size bottle, and wasn't paying attention as the person with me was 'gifting it' to me.......Never did buy the Double Black......once again a 'gift'. I made an assumption......YUP, I know what THAT means. In that case, I think I'll be restocking with this......but do still have an unopened bottle of the Black left.....GIFT! I'm loved! :p

And a little music to wet the ole whistle by

CHEERS Y'ALL!
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,584 Posts
A most excellent choice Hack. Sorry I bailed last night. A full day of fresh air and a full belly made for a tired boy. I fell asleep on the couch with the dogs & then went to bed!

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not at all an aficionado of Irish whiskeys Doug.......What are considered to be good ones? And with my Scotches there's different 'regions' that separate the tastes by MILES, and of course I'm partial to the Islay offerings......are there such things when it come to Irish Whiskey? CURIOUS MINDS WANT TO KNOW...... :p
Hack

·
Administrator
49,206 Posts
In my not so educated experience both are made from basically same recipes but Irish is not as peatty. I do not know about the different distilleries in Irish regions but I am sure it's similar.
For workin man wiskey I like Tullamore Dew, best deal around here is Castle Knaphoug 12 yr old single malt, it's about half the price of 12yr old Gleenlivet or Glenfidich

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
There's a wide range of Scotch tastes also Doug, and bitter dispute over who's right....
Islay on Scotland's coast is home to the 'Peated malts', and some are SERIOUSLY PEATED! And I hang with the gang that thinks these are the best. But them from other regions, noteably the highlands, are 'fruity and flowery'.....fruity and flowery are just not terms I can picture on my epitaph some day or now till then for that matter.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Saturday...... :unsure: ......what should we serve......
I KNOW......something peaty!:ROFLMAO:

Bottle Drinkware Liquid Barware Fluid

Here we go.....NOTHING captures the essence of the region better than an Ardbeg TEN.....there's those that bring out a bigger club and beat the snot out of the peatiness, and others who will TELL YOU THEY DO......but a Scotsmen's drink staring out over the sea through the chilly wind driven mist from a cozy warm tavern will be warmed by this.
CHEERS,
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
And to set the tone for an evening warmed by fine taste of a select beverage.....
Hack

·
Administrator
49,206 Posts
I am running with the Tullamore Dew, I have had good Isly Scotch but I prefer the not peaty versions. I am fond of good Single Malt , in scotch the younger blends dont get my attention., but when it comes to gifting to sharing a wee drap with old friends I am not a snob

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm NOT a drinker any more Doug......when I was a younger man I enjoyed it a touch tooooooo much. Now, honestly, I'll go weeks without even thinking about it......BUT now when I do, I enjoy it as an 'event', and often shared with Y'All's company on here.

Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
.......And tonight's MEET was a particularly enjoyable nip.....THAT was tasty!
Hack

21 - 40 of 49 Posts