The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this over on another forum, and has potential of being groovy. There's was a 'Bourbon' thread, and I'm a Scotch drinker......so as to not intimidate any from joining, PLEASE share whatever your preferred beverage is with us.

Bottle Drinkware Liquid Wine Barware

A Lagavulin 16 year old single malt Scotch is tagged for my first offering on here.

"Founded over 200 years ago and indelibly etched into whisky folklore, the Lagavulin distillery is on the Isle of Islay which is known for its heavily peated whiskies. Those deep smoky notes are in evidence here, the whisky having been aged in oak barrels for at least 16 years. While it's a bestselling bottle, it is not for the faint of heart, adored by those who have acquired a taste for it."
(A review in an article on the BBC Good food magazine. ) I'm not so eloquent of speech as them chaps. It's 43% ABV.

Here's to Everyone's weekend.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well Friends, we've made it to another weekend.....and to show my adoration for such an achievement I present to Y'All this Saturday's offering from Hack's Place...

Brown Bottle Shelf Drinkware Shelving

We'll once again be reaching up to the 'Top shelf' offerings, and bring er on down....

Bottle Liquid Drinkware Glass bottle Solution

A Laphroaig 10. 40% ABV, and if'n you be allergic to smoke, KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!

This is my preferred bottle of choice.......just pull that cork, and the whole room's attention will be towards you.....Was at a tavern with my Family and Friends and asked the keep for a taste of THAT stuff. You could smell the glass heading to our table, as well as everyone else in the area. It's THAT PEATY! I pour a dram of that, and I'll just sit back sniffing over the rim.....that is enjoyment in it'self before the spirit touches your lips.

You can't rush this offering. It needs time to be properly introduced......go slow, and just savor the moment.....NOT at all harsh in the throat, at only 40%, but you can't cram that much smoke into your face all at once, as well as the liquid....SLOW and wet the lips, and take a nice deep breath....AHHhhhhhhhhh.

It's readily available around these parts, and runs around $70.00......BUT if Y'All enjoy a 'bonfire' on a warm summer's evening.....You'll love this, and it's well worth it.
Grooviness to All,
Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drinkware Tableware Stemware Automotive lighting Candle

And here's to your memorable mid December bike ride today Rick.....

Hack

PROST!

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,558 Posts
View attachment 242708

And here's to your memorable mid December bike ride today Rick.....

Hack

PROST!
Cheers Captain. Unfortunately with Mother Nature throwing a tantrum tonight I can’t join you as the odds are high I will get called into work.

The Laphroaig 10 is wonderful. Have you ever put a couple drops of water in it? Literally three drops after you mull over your first sip. It very much opens up the flavour. It pulls some hidden stuff out.

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YUP!

But I typically sip mine on the 'rocks', so I get THAT during the course of drinking it.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's Saturday......though too early for me to get started yet, but let's start thinking about this week's 'offering' folks.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought perhaps this week I'd tone it down a wee bit and offer something far more 'main stream'.

Drinkware Bottle Liquid Barware Tableware

A Glenfiddich 12 year old. Common YES, but inferior by no means. An 'easy' drinking Scotch.....not a lot of 'taste training' required. A hint of peat, but no bonfires. Readily available at any tavern.....That I'd frequent that is.

43 ABV, and around $42.00 a bottle, a great deal, for a good SOLID Scotch.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,558 Posts
I can confirm that Hack. Sorry Captain, I was going to bring my Johnnie Walker 21 tonight but it appears I am on standby for work with a decent likelihood of being called in. Best not to talk to Johnnie tonight. I will showcase that next week. I will offer some good old fashioned lemon iced tea for those who have to work or drive.

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohhhhh, a Lemon ice tea is always welcomed at any shindig. One glass a week of the pricey stuff, leaves plenty of time for ice tea, and coffee. THANKS!

I was a Scotch 'snoot' for a lot of years....single malt only or it was a 'pretend Scotch'. Yeah, Mr. Walker cured me of THAT. The Black is my choice of his kin folk.

Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Doug......

We're none discriminatory to anyone pulling up a stool around the TRT 'Pull a Cork' Thread.....
Chair Musician Table Engineering Luggage and bags

Last year at a local distillery....THEY HAD NO SCOTCH....but there was a lot of laughter. The Sams, Jen and Hack....YES, they offered none alcoholic options of their mixed drinks. Nate wasn't a fan.

Christmas tree Sleeve Tableware Dishware Mixing bowl

Me when I realized they didn't have Scotch.

Dog Bottle Dog breed Carnivore Beer

And 'shirt and tie' is optional....Forgot to tell Oliver.....He wasn't amused.

Plus Doug I have a growing supply of Irish offerings around here for you do make the trip.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A gentle WAY TOO EARLY reminder.....It's Saturday....
Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You lush! I've never tried that....know a load that do, as well as Bloody Mary's to get the eyes working.

I just skipped a couple weeks here because of the holidays, so wanted to blow off the dust.....SHORT THREADS are sooooo sad.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YUP.....Christmas was kind to us as well round here. Till tonight!
Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, back on track now.....

Bottle Liquid Drinkware Wine Barware

The Sams gave me this offering for my Christmas cheer......the younger sibling to the 16 year old. I think I can find some ice and give er a whirl this evening. I will report back shortly.....The phrase, 'If your half of what the older one is you'll do just fine', comes to mind here....an 8 YO compared to a 16 YO. I have had younger offerings which I thought were superior to the older ones.
Hack

Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now what can be said about this Lagavulin 8 YO......

Pulling the cork you're not rocked backwards in your chair by the smell of a late summer's smoldering bonfire as you are greeted with with the 16 YO, but you can seek it out without a lot of effort.

It's 'clearer' than the 16 as well as a wee milder on the palate. You can smell the 'pettiness' rising up the chilled wall of the glass, unmistakable, but NOT over powering. The 16 I spend 1/2 the time just 'sniffing', as to this I enjoy the aroma as it passes over my lips.

This is probably a drink you'd share with Friends while your playing games, or passing time with a movie.....not one you'd sit there in reverence soaking in the 'experience'. NICE, but probably won't re-stock with it.....IT SHAIN'T BE WASTED THOUGH.

CHEERS,
Hack

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well Friends, a long COLD winter's evening lies ahead, and I have a grand solution.....see what I did right there?

Bottle Liquid Drinkware Solution Glass bottle

:sneaky: Cleaver huh?

Coming back down to my bottom shelf this week so folks don't think Hack's a snoot........I'm nearing on the bottom of my 'family size' bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label.

Far from the shores of Islay, and my heavily 'peated' favorites.....it's not even a single malt, but GHADS, a 'blended' malt.o_O

This was the famous unknown bottle that got me on track looking for that elusive lost memory. Ignore it's not a single malt, or even stupid priced, and even that it has a screw on cap and not a cork......THIS STUFF ain't too shabby.

Has a wee...WEE mind ya, hint of smoke....NOT PEAT, but a wisp of a smoldering last evening's fire. It's labeled as 12 year old......meaning all of it's constituent parties have been aged at least 12 years.....
And bottled at only 40 ABV, lays nicely in the throat without beating it to snot.

Been a while since I poured some of this, I have sooooo m,any more I adore......BUT makes me think each time, 'Why do I wait?'. It's not bad.

Hope all have a pleasant evening, and have a chance to sip on something memorable as well,
Hack

1 - 20 of 49 Posts