The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My team leader is one of the few women that work in my office, so there are a few of the guys who like to pick on her, or rearrange her desk when she is in meetings that way it leaves her guessing who it was that was messing with her... today one of the guys that is always picking on her walked by when she wasn't there and moved things around on her desk then walked away, so another co-worker and I decided to take it one step further since we know the other guy is going to be blamed for the pranks... my team leader never locks her computer when she walks away from it for meetings, so we decided to change her mouse to left handed that way the buttons click in the opposite way... we figured out how to do it on our computers but the drivers must be different on her computer and we can't figure out how to change it to left handed mode, so instead we adjusted the mouse speed, trailing mouse, and double click speed on her... I thought this was kind of a lame prank, so had to take it a step further... I was looking online and found one where you invert their monitor so everything is upside down... I did this and surprisingly it only inverts one monitor, we all have dual monitors, so her main monitor still looks normal but when she moves something to the other monitor it is going to be inverted.

So what is your best office prank?

- putting tape over the mouse sensor so the mouse won't work (over used)
- unplugging monitors (too easy)
- using a USB cordless mouse to have control from your desk of the mouse on their computer (going to use this one on her soon enough)
- years ago there was an older guy that we worked with that wasn't very computer savvy and was a 'hunt and peck' kind of typer... one of the guys popped the keys off his keyboard and rearranged them so he was typing and email and got pissed off that it wasn't typing what he typed so he actually ended up calling IT and telling them something was wrong with his computer/keyboard (I see there is actually a way to do this by changing the keyboard settings to a Dvorak set up so it types differently since keys are in different places on a Dvorak keyboard).
- wrapped cubicle in saran wrap and filled with packaging peanuts (messy!)
- hid computer/keyboard/mouse/monitors/phone and made cardboard replicas for each of them while someone was on vacation

What else? =)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a good, actually bad, on the job site prank story.....we had an apprentice that would always dig in every ones lunch box. So a few of us on our gang wanted to put a stop, I went to the drug store and bought FLEET soda. For those that dont know what it does, google it.lol Mixed it with crushed flint stone vitamins. Next day while looking in my lunchbox he asked what it was, I said natural energy drink, he drank 1/2, after break he was on a man lift working and all of a sudden it hit, ran to the port a jon1/2....Then every 5 minutes back in there, after 2 hours of this he said he was getting dehydrated, so i gave him the other half of the drink....He decided to go home, we were in Michigan, 11/2 hour from home, sometimes 20minutes between bathroom stops......next week he didnt want to talk about the trip home.....fast forward a year, Im having a bonfire for the guys at work..we let him in on it....We are legends of prank in our local union hall.........Sorry I'm leaving out details but i can stop laughing when I think of this....' He did say this.....it hit him all weekend, had to get in the shower he was so raw after each time......lolol...

·
Registered
186 Posts
personal favorite, back when i worked at a tech support place and there were windows 95 boxes everywhere, my buddy and i would go around and close everyone's start button, cause you could do that in windows 95. also, sometimes we would edit their win ini file, and change

shell=explorer.exe

to

shell=sol.exe

or calc.exe

when we did this and rebooted their box, the operating system was solitaire, or calculator, and nothing else.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
personal favorite, back when i worked at a tech support place and there were windows 95 boxes everywhere, my buddy and i would go around and close everyone's start button, cause you could do that in windows 95. also, sometimes we would edit their win ini file, and change

shell=explorer.exe

to

shell=sol.exe

or calc.exe

when we did this and rebooted their box, the operating system was solitaire, or calculator, and nothing else.
so it would only load solitare or the calculator when you did that? No actual OS would pull up? That would be cruel... but a good laugh for a few people that we pick on about always playing games instead of working =)

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I copied the monitor screen, inverted and turned it backwards. The mouse would go backwards and when they clicked on the icons they wouldnt do anything. As a back up in case they fixed the monitor i set the internet tab to shut down the computer on clicking.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
I took a screen shot of my supervisors computer. They spent most of the night online doing non work things so I figured why not make their night a bit fun. All the icons were on the screen shot, then I moved the icons off the screen and when they got back to the PC, they couldn't figure out why they couldn't access the internet or other icons. After about 7 hrs they made their final rounds and I fixed it back...the look on their reliefs face when they told them the icons didn't work and they did again was funny. They thought they were losing their mind!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Layered my Team Lead's desk, computer, chair and cubicle walls in sticky notes. It took two of us 2.5 hours.

·
CntntEdtr for Aquarist.Me
2,407 Posts
Shrink wrapped the assistant manager to a pole. Left him there for the entire shift... Manager had left that morning and returned at end of shift... He thought it was awesome, even left the assistant up there till shift was over

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shrink wrapped the assistant manager to a pole. Left him there for the entire shift... Manager had left that morning and returned at end of shift... He thought it was awesome, even left the assistant up there till shift was over
LOL, I would have LOVED to do this to my assistant manager when I worked at TSC years ago... he was an older guy that started after I had been there for about 6 months or so and he always told everyone that he "doesn't do grunt work" so would make us younger guys do all of the "grunt work"... he would have been an excellent candidate to be wrapped to a pole...

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
:lol:Not really an office per say but rather a construction site. We had an over zealous safety mngr. so the electricians wrapped several long zip ties around his drive shaft secured with just enough tape to get to about 40mph !! We past him on the side of I-95 trying to remove them. He said he thought he blew the engine!!!

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
661 Posts
I’m bored so why not dig up an old OLD thread.

At the last place I worked there was a constant battle between myself and my boss’s admin. Her and I would have a constant feud going. We got along great, don’t get me wrong. We just lived to pester each other.

I would prey on her computer most. There are several great options here that stumped IT for a few hours. Tape over the led on the bottom of the mouse, fake folders on her desk top.

The best is pressing CTRL+ALT+DOWN ARROW. This inverts the screen. I came in her office and her monitor was upside down and she was teaching people new words. I’m sorry there is nothing more satisfying than someone trying to be mad at you but they can’t stop cracking a smile and laughing at how ridiculous the situation is.

In case anyone tries it. ctrl+alt +up arrow puts it back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, this is an amazing thread! It improved my mood, and your stories are so interesting. I've never seen pranks in my office, but everything may happen!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts