The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received these two PM's tonight. I told the person I would run it by the BOD and see what you guys had to say. I made no promises other than we would discuss it.

I am leary, but I am a skeptic at heart. :D

Andy, as ARC president I wanted to ask a question about procedures. I have a wholesale contact for a number of live items. For example small blue legs at about .12 ea, med at .20. sally's at 3.25, turbos at .20 bumblebees @ .80 peppermints at 1.50 and so forth.

I'm not looking to make money on these but need to meet certain quantites to get pricing breaks and to cover any s/h and my future tax liabilty. Therefore a group buy would be great.

However I don't want to break the rules or upset the LFS sponsers who are so valuable to our hobby. Any suggestions on how or if we could proceed with a group buy? These prices do vary weekly based on supply as well. My contact is a supplier in FL who does there own collecting. I've purchased before with great success and even supplied some to a local LFS.

I would think that a LFS might benefit from this if we help them on the volume that allows them to get a better price as well. (I could actually give them my contact) However, my concern would be taking business away from them since most avid reefers will find this site, take advantage of this offer and reduce the LFS's selling potential.

I also would not want them (the LFS sponsers) to get too upset and complain to my supplier that may already supply to them. I may lose my position. This all could be complicated and I don't want to give so many negatives to this concept that it won't fly. However, We all might be able to benefit from this.

(Since you will take this to the BOD . .. . I want to offer the pros and cons to be fair)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Deals on livestock

I really do like the idea of club members getting good deals thru the club. After the Key West discussion on collecting, I would want this supplier to at least be legal with commercial permits.

I think Jenn and yourself have said that the local club members do not constitute a large enough number compared to the LFS's total customers to ruin their business by shopping around. Whether it is pooling money to buy acros to frag or a case of actinics, the club loves a bargain.

I also think this offer of "janitor" invertebrates is very timely for the number of people starting the nano tanks where big fish cause problems.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Andy, can this wait until we have our face-to-face board meeting? We should be having one soon (1x per quarter).

I think this warrants a serious dialogue amongst the BOD and I believe that a dynamic discussion is warranted. This could impact our rapport with LFSs and be the reason why owners like Jorge (Aquarium Showcase) are hesitant to become Sponsors.

I am also ALL in favor of bringing ways to make this hobby less costly for our members, however, I'd like time to ponder the ramifications of this.

Separately, when SEMAS (Atlanta club from ~95-2001) tried to exert discounts with LFSs, that effort failed and the club withered away partly due to this decision [although there are some who would say that it definitely died due to this one decision].

Andy, is an immediate response being sought? Since we already have the PH monitor PowerBuy going on, we couldn't we stall for more time until we meet.

Separately, I also have made a wonderful contact of a licensed commercial diver/collector and former reefer/hobbyist in The Keys. He's got all the proper licenses, experience and credentials and he might be interested in doing something like this for us too.

Bob

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I am all for waiting and I agree we need to finish this power buy before we start another. I also agree that I am concerned about alienating our LFS', sponsors or not......

So yes we can wait, but lets go oahead and get things on the table here.

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
i see no difference with a live purchase as opposed to a drygoods purchase. how can we draw a line? this would be no different than putting together a buy for any other items. these powerbuys are beneficial to all club members. when it comes to a group purchase, it should not be dependent of any sponser opinion. this is a seperate undertaking and we should not need sponser approval to organize a club/group buy. i see all purchases as a club/group decision with no bearing on the sponsers. when we have to consider ramifications from sponser stores on our decisisions as a club we no longer have the ability to make honest decisions, that are beneficial to the club. we are not dependant on sponsors to function as a club. if the sponser stores want to get in on the action let them come up with some specials to bring us in. ok i'm done

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
since were on this subject. i have a few questions for the rest of the members. aren't we providing a service to the sponsers as well as them to us? i have been hearing the sponsers brought up before many decisions are made. we are tip toeing around on our decisions based on there opinion. personally i believe we are a club first with the hobbiest and members first . the sponsers, local fish stores,reef related business's are important to us as hobbiest's , but we should not be getting into the "how are they gonna feel about this" mindset. this club's focus and purpose is not to provide a service to sponsers. it's great that we look after each other, but we are not dependent on the sponsers, and we should not base any club decisions on sponser approval. they are a seperate entity.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
I don't have a problem with a power buy on livestock but I do see a potential problem. Those of us that have been in this hobby for a number of years know that DOA's are just part of the experience. It's gonna happen and more so when you're ordering hundreds of crabs and snails. Someone is going to get their panties in a wad over having to pay for a critter that arrived dead. Plus the fact that participants would have to make arrangements to pick up their order in a timely manner. This may be a problem with everyone being spread out over such a large area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts