The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have no idea where this stuff is coming from, but I'm getting some massive hair algae starting in my tank (well it's been going for a little while now). Does it make sense that I have the hair algae but not a major film algae problem on my glass? There are a number of things that I've done lately that may be causing this....I traded in rock to LFS for new rock (perhaps it is sheding detritus), I had to remove some flow due to lack of space for the closed loop pump (I may be able to add it back, not sure), and who knows what else. It also seems to be catching additional detrius which is probably fueling the growth even more as I syphon it out of the corner that it usually collects in. Any BBers out there ever have a hair algae problem and what solved the issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1) you traded your rock for new rock. how long was the rock cured for?
this could be part of the problem it is creating a whole new cycle.

2) you reduced flow which will allow for detritus to settle into rock and on the bottom behind your rocks and fuel growth of bad algaes.

3) check for phosphates

4) do water changes to bring down nitrates and phosphates.
blow off your rocks with a turkey baster or power head before you change the water.

5) skim aggresivly

6) how old are your lights?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,723 Posts
I like what bozo said:

Also, I would bet that you don't have a nutreant problem in your water (skimmer gets it too fast) but you have a bunch of detritus on the rocks fueling the algae. This is probaly the reason for the no film on the glass, but the algae on the rocks.

I reccomend taking a power head to the rocks where the algae is, I bet you get a bunch of junk off. Do this a few times and the algae should slowly go away.

Whiskey

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wiskey said:
I like what bozo said:

Also, I would bet that you don't have a nutreant problem in your water (skimmer gets it too fast) but you have a bunch of detritus on the rocks fueling the algae. This is probaly the reason for the no film on the glass, but the algae on the rocks.

I reccomend taking a power head to the rocks where the algae is, I bet you get a bunch of junk off. Do this a few times and the algae should slowly go away.

Whiskey
Yeah I've kinda been doing this. Who knows how old the rock was, it didn't have a smell or anything, so my guess on that is still that it is "sheding". I agree with you that there is a lot of detrius on the rocks that doesn't seem to want to come off (or just settles back on there after I blow it off). This is where my frustration with this cube is really becoming high because I can't figure out a smart way to get flow going ACROSS the rocks and not just along the bottom and walls. I will continue to blow the rocks off with my Stream pumps and see if the detrius goes down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
being a small tank you can always remove the rock and scrub it in a bucket of salt water made up to your tank params. this should help in getting rid of it instead of blowing it around. usually the initial outbreak is the worst. i had to scrub the rock from my 140 gallon a couple of times before it went away. as wiskey said also good flow will help alot. good luck to you
steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
Adding to Wiskey and bozo above, can you do with less rocks? I wish we could see a tank pic... this may be just me, sometimes I find that too many rocks are put in for what is necessary and sometimes they hinder more than they help... and btw removing rocks and removing flow, I'll remove rocks.

[edit] and snails... for me they are kinda like, the last line... if the snails can't take 'em out, then its a problem.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
madmac said:
Adding to Wiskey and bozo above, can you do with less rocks? I wish we could see a tank pic... this may be just me, sometimes I find that too many rocks are put in for what is necessary and sometimes they hinder more than they help... and btw removing rocks and removing flow, I'll remove rocks.

[edit] and snails... for me they are kinda like, the last line... if the snails can't take 'em out, then its a problem.
Ask and you shall receive!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm thinking more flow still. Could you get another stream and have them face each other on the ends. Your water is obviously cleaner, hence no algae on the glass, and rocks shedding, but not at some areas where there are dead spots, thats where they come out.

so do as bozo and Wiskey says, scrub/brush the rocks outside, blast the rocks, skim wet aggressively.

... and continue syphoning, for the time being. "You got to remain on top of things." - Spanky

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just don't think Streams are suited for cubes. The problem seems to be keeping the detrius off the rocks themselves....my current arrangement seems to do well at keeping it off the bottom and moving it to a back corner (well it did before I traded in rocks for new ones that wanted to shed). Maybe I'll figure out a way to hook up a closed loop again and just have it blow across the rockwork surface.

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
PaintGuru said:
... The problem seems to be keeping the detrius off the rocks themselves....my current arrangement seems to do well at keeping it off the bottom and moving it to a back corner (well it did before I traded in rocks for new ones that wanted to shed). Maybe I'll figure out a way to hook up a closed loop again and just have it blow across the rockwork surface.
This to me is the main issue, IMO you don't need to switch LR or loose any from what I see in your tank. Seems like a lot of people having issues with algae have the same problem of LR shedding accumulating on their rocks thus leading to algae problems. Rocks are going to shed no matter what, especially in a low nutrient tank where bacteria is looking for food/fuel other than in the water column. If you have to turkey baste your rocks to have the shedding in suspension then your flow is not appropiate. Tweak your flow like you mentioned and have it blowing across the rock so nothing settles on it, keep doing water changes for now.

Is that picture a current one? I see you have a diadema and quite some snails too. Put some of them in the sump for a couple of days so they get a little hungry then put them back in the tank and watch them plow trough that algae. HTH

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New idea, and probably not worth a new thread. I think I'm going to remove the milk crate and do everything slower (small rock piles). Now in theory I should find a way to elevate the rocks about an inch or so off the bottom entirely so water can flow through. I figure if I have the rock lower, the Streams will push the water off the front glass, down, and then back over the rocks (vs. just going under the milk crate now). What are some idea on how to prop up small islands just an inch or so off the bottom?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts