The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several odd growths on some live rock I have, there are two kinds. One is a leathery covering the other are small white polyps. The leathery blanket originally looked like dead smooth coral, but when I touched it it felt spongy like a very supple leather, now I have seen or owned quite a few corals, and this doesn't look like anything I have ever seen. The second is a white rubbery polyp that looks like it has hair growing out from it, its about a half inch wide ball, and looks alot like a very small brain coral thats dead, but its not hard.

Anyway if anyone has a good idea what this is I would be very interested to know.

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
How big is the leathery stuff? Color?
Are they in low flow or high flow spots?
Are they in the light significantly?

Both descriptions could be types of sponges or a variety of other things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well tough to describe actually other then it doesn't look like anything I have seen, both are completely white, they were originally growing in a (VERY low flow tank, low light, IE ambient tank light "underside of the live rock") the leather blanket growth was also low light and low flow. They were in a tank I left fallow for about 6 months feeding only very occasionally.

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
Without seeing them, they sound like sponges. Most likely that grew out of the liverock, etc. Most liverock is filled with cryptoinvertebrates like sponges and microscopic organisms. If the flow becomes reduced to the point that not enough nutrients are flowing through the porous rock, they will come out of the rock in an effort to get more food at the price of decreased security.

They often have little to no chemical defenses, so they hide a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well by your descriptions of it...

I had two live rock pieces that I put into the tank both were covered in them, Now the first piece I put in had them all over and about 3 weeks after they arrived in the new tank with good circulation, excellent water conditions and nitrates in the 5ppm range, they slowly started reducing in size... Now, the second peice just was placed in a high circulation, high light area and appears to be growing well, I also have what looks like a green cactus growing on the same rock... the rock is devoid of all other life including calcerous algie. anyway thanks for the ID, I am betting your right... And yes I was aware of the life that comes on LR, I had this purple crab and what I think were glass anenomaes spring up out of no where... Well I let them stay, and was no worse for it and then culerpa grew out of no where... I have always been amazed at how life just happens...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It always amazes me at what pops out on rock. In my first tank I had about 4 types of algea start to grow, I have bright blue sponge in my tank right now, as well as a piece of poccilapora that is starting to really grow under my VHO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts