The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I did some re-arranging of the live rock in my tank - a 29gallon. I have "reef timber" (a shelf system for the rock) and had some smaller pieces underneath the shelving. When I re-arranged I took some of the hidden rock and placed it on top. Previously while underneath the rock was mostly in the dark only got some of the light from my rear "blue actinic" flourescent. The rock was underneath for about 2 years.

Anyways I discovered attached to one of the rocks, a small roundish coral, about 1 inch across and about 1/2 inch high. The closest thing I can identify it to in looks is a flowerpot coral, with what look like literally 100's of polyps (about 1mm each in size) though without the long "tentacles". The coloring is tan/light brown.

Any ideas on identifying would be greatly appreciated. I do have the great book "Practical Guide to Corals" but again the closest in looks is the flowerpot.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to the TRT!!!

i have seen single polyp corals about the size you are describing, but nothing that small with that many polyps.

i was hoping to find a reference to the one i was talking about in Borneman's book, but can not find it right now.

a pic would be helpfull if you can get one.

G~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the "100's" of single polyps isnt much of an exageration, I could probably count 150-200+ easily. The only other coral that come close in appearance to what I have seen (maybe closer judging by the single polyps and shorter almost non-existant "tentacles") would be a "helmet" though mine is more rounded-based (like the flowerpot) than plate-based...

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Welcome to The Reef Tank :)

Is the underlying skeleton hard or soft?

Are the polyps like those on a favia or similar?

This might be a dumb question, but are you sure it's not a sponge? (Just checking ;) )

Alice

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I'm wondering if it's not a sponge like Alice has stated. Growing in almost total darkness, I would suspect a sponge or tunicate!:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
judging from pictures I have found online of tunicates, I would say it is similar in appearance to the attached image, though on a very rounded "flowerpot" like base

really doesnt look like a sponge at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sounds to me like porites by the descrption and the pic. Porite polyps are very similar to Gonipora, except on a much smaller scale. Porites are a large group of reef buliding coral and can be found on LR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts