The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know I'm tossing myself up for serious smackdown, but I have to ask.

What do I need to have an octopus? Is it even feasible?

I know it's prolly not reefsafe and that it'll eat any other fish in the tank... oh and the fact that they're escape artists. But, what else?

I just did my weekend LFS tour and couldn't believe how awesome this one looked. It had little blue rings all.... (kidding! gotcha huh?) It was actually very very tiny... and grey. It would change colors if i moved my hand near it. It was tooooooo cool!

·
Registered
182 Posts
They get bored, and constantly need something to do. They are pretty smart, put some food in a jar, and they can figure out how to remove the lid.

The hardest part is keeping them in the tank. They have been known to sneek out of tanks with lids, so if you do get one, keep a lid on it with weight because they can lift the lid. I've also heard they don't like crawling across astro-turf. My local aquarium keeps a 4 inch lip with the stuff on it in addittion to keeping the water level about 8 inches below the top to keep them in the tank... and that's just the little ones.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great article... thanks. I think I might have to get another tank sometime in the future for one.

·
lazy reefer
919 Posts
btw the tank almost has to be water and air proof they are escape artist i have thought of this may timw my self a blue ring would be the only type id ger though so im not in the mood to make the hospitals around aware of the animal so im not gonna get one or the tank it sa dream though

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Sounds cool, I think it is great when people figure out how to keep animals that no one else will try. Octopi are cool creatures, but there is something about them. I don't know, maybe just the thought of cleaning a tank and having one latch on to my arm. Just a thought, but that creeps me out.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember watching a nature program that said certain octopus species can double their body weight in one day. Amazing stuff.

I remember seeing a blue ring octopus at my LFS a couple years ago. It was by far the most beautiful looking animal I've seen. It was amazing how quickly it could change colors. But, there's no way in the world I'd get one. It's rumored to have the most deadly posion known to man... by time a hospital figured out what was going on, you'd be a goner.

I mean come on, what are they going to write on your gravestone "he was killed by a small octopus"

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
with a blue ringed octopus, by the time you figured out you had been bit then you would have time to smoke a cigarette then you might as well lay on the floor and DIE.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had one for about 2 months, pretty small, about 6 inches. I left one of the shades open during a storm, I think the lighting scared him.(the flash) He inked in his tank, I did not notice till morning. Too late. They have to be the most interesting creature to watch eat though. I had mine in a 50 hex. Only thing in it. I wish I could have kept it longer. Just remember don't scare it. lol.

·
lazy reefer
919 Posts
well i guess the only thinkg that has really kept me from doing this is the fact that well i dont know how i would clean the tank how did you clean yours.shutterinfear im assuming it was a bluering if it wasnt then still how did you clean your tank?

·
Registered
19 Posts
lol, I used one of those sticks, with the sponge on the end. He would just go into his hiding spot, was also really slow, The last thing I wanted him to do was ink the tank. Nobody, should keep a blue-ring. I like all the saltwater stuff, but I am not about to risk my life for it. They are unreal things to look at in pictures. But, be smart. Keep a reg one if your going to keep any at all.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Indeed, I was reading an article about one being kept in a 320g tank not long ago. They weighted the top down with blocks all over to keep a firm closure. Also know that the water has to be *PRISTINE* although they make a mess when feeding. There is your catch 22. They will eat anything you put in the tank so it will have to be alone. Octopus' nervous systems are one of the most advanced of all marine animals (there is debate whether the they contain a cognition equal to, or greater than, the dolphin). The ability to think and reason is one that they have developed well. I watched a nature show once where they showed a full grown specimen fit through a hole the size of a quarter after using trial and error to open a latched test door. If you leave any type of escape avenue, they will figure it out and exploit it.

On the bright side, the aforementioned article went on to explain that the octopus will learn it's owner quickly and respond to you in a manner of recognition. They are truly amazing creatures but one I would really encourage you to rethink. With the cognition ability they have, they will know you are keeping them caged up. No matter how happy they are to see you, they will always be thinking of a way to get out and away. I would only consider one in a *huge* tank, but I have not bought a lottery ticket lately. 8/

-K

·
Registered
267 Posts
Forget the cigarette. By the time you lit it and started to take a drag you would be paralized, and limp and lifeless way before the cig was gone. Those Octapi are for the Sea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts