The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
lets see, milk or coral?
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah for me!!! I just got my new octopus 200 its sitting here on my floor getting ready to go in the sump but I have 2 questions. #1 what is this little end cap that came with it, I know its for the end of the air line but is it adjustable? #2 why do some of you put a gate valve on the intake?

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
The black "adjustable" piece is a silencer for you air intake. A gate valve makes it so that you can adjust the water level in the skimmer with out getting your hands wet, and it makes it so you can make more precise adjustments than you would be able to just with the stock stand pipe. It also makes it so you can make the skimmed water exit into your sump in a specific location.

EDIT: I just put a gate valve on mine. I just made it DIY. I ordered the 1 1/2 gate valve from savko.com and used a dremel to shave out a 1 1/2 coupler so I didn't have to premanently alter my stand pipe. I did it all for around $30 where if you buy it from Marinesolutionsinc.com it is around $45 with shipping.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Congratulations! I love my Octo - Snow man said it correctly - the air intake is not adjustable, but it does cut down a lot on the noise. I have the gate valve on mine and it really makes it easy to adjust, but it is certainly not mandatory, the skimmer works without it.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I love my NW-200!!! Consider a mesh mod too.

Also keep in mind that a gate valve will not help if the water level in the sump fluctuates very much.

·
lets see, milk or coral?
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what is the mesh mod? as for a picture I will post one when I can find my camera

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You might have the mesh mod already - which model Octo did you get? Does it have a bubble diffuser (circle with little holes inside the body)?

·
lets see, milk or coral?
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the NW 200. No it doesn't have a plate on the inside. Here is the only picture I have. Sorry dvdj65 I don't mean to thread jack.

No problem you just saved me the trouble of finding my camera and uploading it :thumbup:

·
lets see, milk or coral?
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, thanks for all the info we have a pretty good plumbing and electrical supplier here so I will try them first

·
Registered
21 Posts
while on the topic of the octo. I just got the ts-150 today. it is my first skimmer so I was wandering where I should run the water level inside the cup? The above picture is a great referance for mine. Any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks....

·
lets see, milk or coral?
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"mtpockets" there seems to be a lot of people around here with that name an "i iz broke" as well

·
Registered
21 Posts
"mtpockets" there seems to be a lot of people around here with that name an "i iz broke" as well

I'm still new to this hobby (started last April) and this is the only discussion site that I've ever been on. I have already tapped into my 401-k account to help support this obsession. It was the only fitting name I was able to come up with.

·
lets see, milk or coral?
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Browse the picture gallery there's a picture of a guy laying in his tank like a coffin titled "the death of me" pretty true and very funny

·
Registered
21 Posts
Browse the picture gallery there's a picture of a guy laying in his tank like a coffin titled "the death of me" pretty true and very funny

I think i've seenthat one. I wouldn't go that far. just a divorce. she will get the house and kids and I will get the tank and fish.:lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts