The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is considering getting into the hobby and has mentioned that he may want to start with an octogon tank. Pros? Cons? Opinions? Thanks for your help.:fish:

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
if its taller with less surface area he'll be able to keep less livestock.

I had a hex tank and I ultimately got rid of it. I hated all the sides which interfered with my 'constant' viewing area. taller tanks are also harder to get the right amount of light to the bottom, less room for fish to swim, etc.

But, if you dont mind those cons and really like the shape of the tank, and especially if you are tight on space, it might not bother you to have an octagonal tank.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I think octagon tanks look really nice but wouldn't make a marine one, not enough air to water ratio - the tops are too narrow. I had one (20 gallon) for freshwater but got rid of it, it's better to get a corner tank, has more surface area. Just MO.

HHC

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Air to water ratio isn't good as said but also, they are hard to plumb and hook up equipment such as lights, and skimmers etc. The shape is just not conducive to a good set up. That's not to say it cant be done though. Its just easier to start with a traditional shape! HTH

Robert

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
I agree with Robert. They're pretty but not practical.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
I've seen a cool reef ready one with all in the middle so the fish and coral and veiwing 360 deg. around the tank!Real cool!

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
if I could buy a tank right now I'd get about a 100g corner bow, now those are pretty!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I've never seen an octogon tank (8 sides). What's commonly 'out there' are hexagonal tanks (5 sides). I'd bet it's the latter.

Many issues with these - some have been mentioned. Tall, less surface area, for sure, and the sides are all so short you can't get enough HOB filter/skimmer power to move enough water volume. If you're daring enough to try an overflow box (overflow being the operative word), and sump it's tricky to get a big enough, small enough sump to fit underneath.

They don't come reef-ready, and drilling after-market is tricky.

For freshwater, slap a canister on it and you're off to the races. For a marine tank they are a major PITA. Don't even get me started on lighting one... those odd sizes/shapes are always super-ghetto because you either have a fixture that's too short, or overhangs the tank...

Stretch hex or flatback hex are not as bad - but 'round' hex tanks are a real pain.

Jenn

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 44 gallon corner hexagon, I do love it! But if I could do it over again, I wouldn't. It is deep and hard to clean, I have a hood over top with my lighting which did pose some problems a lot of fitting. I have to remove my hood to do any maintenance. I agree with Jessica about the 100g corner bow if he is tight for room.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
motorslave said:
Turn him into a TRT member!!!!!!
I'll certainly try!:beer: But he must have the slowest computer I've ever seen. He claims that it takes him and hour to go online and view a singe webpage.:doh: After I chastised him for being so cheap he said,
"But it's free...":funny: I'll work on getting him to go with saltwater first, then we'll get him online.:)

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
if he's that cheap are you (is he) sure he wants to do saltwater?! you have to be willing to drop quite the chunks of change in this hobby! I for one can spend $150 on live rock in a heartbeat but I cringe when I have to pay the bills :D

on the note of trying to create 'saltwater partners in crime' I am careful who I try to convert now. I got my mother in law to do it and now I have to 'police' her to feed the fish properly/enough etc and I have to physically drive over to her house WITH THE WATER for water changes, (and do them myself) otherwise it doesnt get done. And that beautiful coral beauty in my avatar (which is hers) is what I do it for. I wish I could repo it but I can't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts