The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one use Oceanic sea salt mix? Today I made my first batch of salt water and still have it mixing in the garage. I thought some one said to add a heater but with my garage being 90 deg would I still need it? They had 3 brands of salt and the Oceanic was the cheep one $12.95 for 7.25LBS

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to let the pump run all night in the garage for about 15 hours then bring the bucket into the house to bring down the temp. If you have a bigger pump in the bucket with a lot of water flow should I still run the batch of salt for 24 hours? or will 15 be good?

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
I like to let mine run with a power head for 24 hours. I guess 15 hours would be ok...but don't quote me on that. You can also use an air stone, but I find the bubbles make a mess of salt creep everywhere. I get the big buckets of Oceanic...you can never have too many buckets.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont want to mess with under mixing it... I won't start the water change until late tomorrow night. The pump I have in the bucket is for a outside pond. When I turned it on it through about 1/2 gal out on to the floor...lol

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
I usually try to remember to dump my salt in Thursday night, adjust the levels Friday evening and then do my water change some time Saturday afternoon. If I forget about Thursday and Friday, I'll start mixing my salt Saturday morning, adjust it during the day and do the water change Sunday afternoon or evening.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could do it Friday. Any idea how long you can keep a 5 gal bucket made up for? Like if I made 10 gal today and only used 5 how long could the other 5 gal last? I know it wont go bad but maybe stagnant

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
what i do to warm up my water quick is. to start of i use arrowhead water bottles 5G so i mix my salt in and all then to warm up i fill my tub with hot water and let them sit in there for 15-20 minutes and check the temp every 5 minutes once they are at 75-77 degress out they go and are ready to go woohoo :)

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
abigtroutt said:
I could do it Friday. Any idea how long you can keep a 5 gal bucket made up for? Like if I made 10 gal today and only used 5 how long could the other 5 gal last? I know it wont go bad but maybe stagnant
like KWJones said...as long as it's moving and the temp's normal..it can last at least a week or two. But you will notice, after a few days, you'll start to get a slight brown slime on the sides of the bucket. (personally, I think this is good...any residual P in the mix is forming Algae...which means it's sticking to the sides instead of staying in the SW).

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I put my leftover mixed water in plastic jugs - even clean one-gallon milk jugs will work - and it keeps for quite a while that way. I like it covered so it doesn't get dust, dirt, stray cats and other things in it - -

HHC

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have extra empty milk jugs also my 5 gal bucket has a air tight lid. As for the temp in the bucket this morning it must of been over 100 deg due to the over size pump running all night it became very hot and need to be cooled down alot. I added more salt to bring it up to 1.024 and let the pump run a little more, then i turned it off to let the pump cool down. Dont want to burn up my pump the first batch...

·
Registered
104 Posts
abigtroutt said:
As for the temp in the bucket this morning it must of been over 100 deg due to the over size pump running all night it became very hot and need to be cooled down alot. I added more salt to bring it up to 1.024 and let the pump run a little more, then i turned it off to let the pump cool down. Dont want to burn up my pump the first batch...
One thing that I have found, when the water temp goes up near 90 degrees or so in the mixing bucket, I have had the calcium precipitate out of the water and coat the bucket, pump and heater.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I decided not to use the water and went to my LFS and purchased 6 gal or premixed salt water. I then did the water change and it made a huge difference in the tank and my skimmer is even skimming better? I'm going to save the 5 gal's I made and do a water change in my nano 10 gal this weekend. I want to thank all of you for your info!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts