The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been keeping FW fish for a while now, and I'm considering changing to salt water... I've been reading up on everything quite a lot and I'm looking forward to it!

I do live really close (100m) to the ocean, a usually calm place, and I'm wondering if I can use ocean water? If I collect x number of gallons and test the water before I use it in my tank, what issues could I face?

Thanks! - Chris.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Welcome to TRT Chrzis!
I'm not sure on using ocean water I know people do it but I don't know what precautions they take

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've Read That In Order To Get Good Clean Water, You Would Have To Go 10 Miles Off Shore And 10 Feet Deep , To Avoid Any High Concentrations Of Polutants And Stuff. Tagging Along To See If Anyone Has Any Hard Facts On This Issue

·
Registered
307 Posts
I personally would not even try such a thing.....

BEST analogy I can think of is this: would you give up drinking tapwater to put out buckets outside and drink rainwater instead?

Getting into saltwater? hope you have a boat of cash....

Checkout this post of what people are spending a week on this hobby:
http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79349

...yeah like $100 a week or more... $5,000 - $8,000 a year

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I don't have any hard fact on the issue however I live close to the Ocean as well and have used ocean water collected and "filtered" by the LFS he charges .50 per gal. and I have had no problems. prevoius to this tank I have had several FOLR tanks and did the same thing never a problem. I get the water let it warm up to house temp for the day and then drain and fill. WC takes about 30 min. I know that a lot of people would object to this method but it works for me.

As for your own collecting my friend has a LFS and I have gone to collect water with him he waits for the incoming tide at the lighthouse point inlet as the "clean water" comes in he starts pumping into his truck. He had never had any problems either.

PS I don't get my water from him now because his shop is too far from where I live.

Fred

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Too many variables that can cause problems if you ask me. The ocean is huge and all the littles nasties that go with it. In our small system that could be a disaster. Make your own it's simple and you will always want water on hand just in case of emergencies. Yep its expensive but worth it imo!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
fjoseph72269 said:
I've Read That In Order To Get Good Clean Water, You Would Have To Go 10 Miles Off Shore And 10 Feet Deep , To Avoid Any High Concentrations Of Polutants And Stuff. Tagging Along To See If Anyone Has Any Hard Facts On This Issue
I agree even the one kind you can get threw Petco "Catalina" NSW goes threw filters and other things and put back some of the good takin out.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
all valid points everyone.
With the oceans. depending on where you live you can use the water directly or filter it. some places in the USA do have direct pipe line out in to the ocean and draw in water and filter and using it( one of our sponors)
some members also go a "pick up " their own water.
since you are "downunder" i woudl check withthe local marine center and see what the polltion levels are and how far out if you even need to, to get the water.if you are close ot a high population area or have some major farms close by , i would say you will have to go a bit out to get it... but checking with the local marine center is best

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know what? I'm just going to try it. I'm going to get a few liters of water, let it stand overnight and test it. Then, I'm going to put some cheap damsels in the tank and see what happens!

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Welcome to TRT, I live on the water here in FL and i would never use the water that comes from it. IMO it is just not worth the risk of killing something or introducing all kinds of bacteria into your tank. I got myself a nice RO/DI unit and i use Instant Ocean (IO) sea salt.

I have heard and read things about people collecting their own saltwater and using and i have even though about trying it. But every time we were in the boat 15 miles offshore fishing the water has always been smelly, dirty, or something floating in it. I didnt want to take the risk of killing everything in my tank.

Tim

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
You know what? I'm just going to try it. I'm going to get a few liters of water, let it stand overnight and test it. Then, I'm going to put some cheap damsels in the tank and see what happens!
I guess my concern would be down the road. OK, so you get nice clean water and your confidence goes up. Over the next year or two you build your tank into a show piece. Then you just happen to pick up some contaminate from a boat that went by or something, and BANG tank crash.... :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All valid points...

I guess I'm treating this as an experiment. I don't think that I would keep doing it long term.

In any case, The experiment won't begin for a few more weeks, so I'll let you know how it goes - when I get there.

-Chris

P.S. This banana guy makes me laugh. :banana:

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Welcome... I have done a WC using SW collected off the oregon coast... because it is cold water the issue with disease was not as big of a concern. when i put that stuff in the polyps almost fell out of the coral skeleton they loved it sooooo much. Give it a shot with coral and fish and see what happens. Good stuff if collected correctly IMO

·
Registered
274 Posts
welcome to TRT
and that sounds like a way to keep expenses low(if you live close to saltwater) but if it works i wish i would be able to do that

1 - 20 of 27 Posts