The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="48%"></TD></TR><TR><TD rowSpan=2>72 inch Ocean Light T5 system with 8 39 watt T5 HO bulbs. Black aluminum .....will this work for a 125/6' tank.....soft corals, (anemone :confused: )and fish???</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was thinking of going with the 12x39 for my 125. But apparently it's hard to find someone that has them instock or that can order them.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
I am using that same light on my 125 agressive. Mine is silver, I think made by aquamedic as it is a space light or something like that. Works great on LPS and that stuff now and I have it a foot above the tank. I am not sure if it will be bright enough for the fish though. :)

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Another nice thing is I just ordered replacement bulbs for less than 70 bucks (wholesale)

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="10%" rowSpan=4></TD><TD width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD colSpan=2 height=12>
</TD><TD width="12%" rowSpan=4> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boldbigblue width="29%" height=11>LT-AB75110</TD><TD width="48%">
Price $364.99​
</TD></TR><TR><TD rowSpan=2>72 inch Ocean Light T5 system with 8 39 watt T5 HO bulbs. Black aluminum housin...more</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>are you selling yours............:agree:
I got a aquaspace light 48" 2x250w & 1x 150w MH, it will light a 6' tank well......great for fish! :fish:

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
NFS sorry, must be different though as this was a little more than that guy. Check with Dirk, this came from his originally, but I got it from Cindy.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
was that the one josh had over the 150? He told me the price of that one...ouch!

·
Registered
117 Posts
If your going to go with T5 i'd go with the Sunlight Supply Tek Fixtures, if I were you I'd go with two 3' 8 bulb configuration fixtures with blueplus and aquablue bulbs, this would be the best. Tek fixtures have individual reflectors which is the reason why you would want T5 in the first place. Basically there's not a big difference btw PCs and T5s w/o the individual reflectors. I'm pretty sure that the AquaMedic doesn't have individual reflectors but I may be wrong??

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Yeah...thats aquamedic for ya. Nice light though. I got it used for 300, so thats not too bad.
epidemic said:
was that the one josh had over the 150? He told me the price of that one...ouch!

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
thefishtank said:
If your going to go with T5 i'd go with the Sunlight Supply Tek Fixtures, if I were you I'd go with two 3' 8 bulb configuration fixtures with blueplus and aquablue bulbs, this would be the best. Tek fixtures have individual reflectors which is the reason why you would want T5 in the first place. Basically there's not a big difference btw PCs and T5s w/o the individual reflectors. I'm pretty sure that the AquaMedic doesn't have individual reflectors but I may be wrong??
Keep in mind this is a softy/LPS dominant tank. Based on my experiences using T5 for a year with a 5 bulb configuration ( overdriven by Icecap at 30% ) so roughtly equal to 6.5 spec bulbs that many LPS lightened in color and didn't expand as well. 8 bulb configuration for Softy/LPS dominant tank IME would be way overkill and could do more harm that good. I personally would stick to a 4 bulb or possibly a 6 bulb at max ( you could alway just light 4, I think that is what Ryan does currently ).

Second, yes I do agree about individual reflectors. However, the Tek ones are the worst performers, I myself would rather retrofit than to use a Tek fixture for that reason.

Thirdly, yes there will be some restrike if this uses a single parabolic vs. individual. I don't know that anyone has done anaylsis to know exactly what that ends up equating to in light output. Given that this is a softy dominate tank, it might not matter. The cost of what you propose is also than double.

Not saying your wrong and definately not saying that the Aquamedic one is the best or anything but the application does make a difference as well as cost to the decision and not all just about getting the max light output.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The cost is more, but you get what you pay for. Individual reflectors is what makes T5 soo cool, if you don't have them T5s IMO are a waste. The light output difference is huge, some say 300% more than other T5 fxtures. Most other brand fixtures come with cheap bulbs, the Tek gives you the flexibility to customize the lights to your preference. 4/6 would be perfect for you, I would go with 6/8 just so that you can always add more if you wanted to keep some SPS down the road.

Check out RC and see what grim says, he's the T5 guru, this will give you a better idea.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Tek individual reflectorsones are the worst rated performers, that makes the need for individual reflectors mute....Like you said, you get what you pay for.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I'm not disagreeing about the parabolic. Nor am I saying this fixture it to be all of T5s available out there. But yes, I think it should be considered a viable option for his tank.

No one has done the analysis on this fixture so to say exactly how it performs. Throwing out number like 300% is purely speculation and if I'm not mistaken is based on a bulb without anykind of reflector used. I am quite sure that we are not talking a flat reflector here. I'm sure it is parabolic just not individual so yes there will be more restrike but I'm pretty certain not as bad as flat or no reflector.

Aquamedic does not make junk nor are they cheap bulbs. No way would I ever try to compare it to an Odyssea, Jebo, Finnex or other brands that yes I do consider to be junk.

Dave isn't a newbie. I'm pretty certain that SPS is not in his future or he would have switched to the darkside by now.

Those the spend that kind of money on a fixture would like to think they get what they pay for but depending on the use definately not always true. Brand and Quality is definately not an issue here, it's just a matter of reflector design and how effective it is.

Fritz ( HFG ) has a par meter, T5s with several different types of reflectors and ballasts. So if someone has one of these fixtures, we can certainly do some performance testing one evening to know for sure if it's worth it or not......

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
What do you think about doing a hood? I would look into 4x4' bulbs Staggered. If money isn't an issue than 6x4' staggered. and you can run more light settings.

10-12 actinic +/ actinic +
12-8 actinic+/ 12k
3-7 11k/11k

or something to that effect.
the 3' equipment is the same cost as the 4'.

Worth a moment of thought any how :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Aqua Medic makes some of the greatest fixtures out there, I just wanted to let him know that his pick may not be the best solution. If your going w/ MH fixtures Aqua Medic all the way...I was just speaking based off of how others felt about the T5 fixtures/retrofits. Opinions that I have seen are extremely positive toward the individual reflectors and Sun Light Supply I believe is the only company that currently makes them.

In my opinion the parabolic are fine and will certainly get the job done for his application, but I'd get the individual because they're cool, lol!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks like we are talking Honda vs Toyota here...two good deals.
its not like RR vs Yugo....;)

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well after all this, it turns out that AM does not even have the 72" light.
So its TEK or retros........thanx for all the info.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts