The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
46bfinga said:
if i only had a sea in my basement!whats max size on nurse sharks?around 6' right?
To be honest i think it's twice as big as you think they get.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really big!

To be exact, Nurse sharks in the wild get 8-10ft with a max of 14ft with females weighing in at a whopping 700lbs. Mine is still a baby. Unfortuntly its time to give her up. If I had a swiming pool I would turn it into a mini ocean just for sharks. But my wife says I'm already turning the house into a saltwater exibit!! LOL
:lol:

·
ARC Member
707 Posts
Have you considered taking it to the ocean? Nurse sharks are indigenous to Florida, so introducing it there wouldn't be disrupting the ecosystem.

I would encourage prospective buyers to consider the moral responsibility of keeping an animal like this in your home aquarium....

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
mojo said:
Have you considered taking it to the ocean?
Is that legal? I thought that after it was "domesticated" it could not be returned to the wild (I really have no clue tho).

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
How about an aquarium? Yes it deserves to be in the wild but I don't know how well it could take care of itself.

·
Registered
275 Posts
good luck with selling him.i dont know of anyone with a tank big enough to keep him for awhile.donating him to the aquarium would be cool .atleast that way you could go see your shark when its 14' and being a real bada5s.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Thanks for the idea, but I really doubt the Georgia Aquarium would ever be interested, due to possible infections and parasites introduced by animals from other places (and no need right now for another nurse shark) - they really don' t want to be the end point of people's foolish buying decisions of common animals. This occurs frequently with nurse (and other) sharks, groupers, eels, etc. that rapidly and predicably outgrow their tanks. It truly is unfortunate, as the animals suffer from these crazy decisions from owners.

Who knew a nurse shark would outgrow a home aquarium? Come on. We need to show more responsibility than that.

Steve

·
Registered
344 Posts
yeah, im gonna have to agree with steve on this one... you knew it would get too big when you bought it, and now you cant support it... and now the animal has to suffer beacause of that....

·
Reefer Dude
409 Posts
I agree that the responsibility of making informed decisions falls on the consumer.

But... As a hobbyist I know most of us have made snap decisions to buy something we see in a store or online, only to find out that keeping it alive will be a great challenge.

With that being said... why doesn't the club start a lobby to try and persuade local and online retailers not to carry items, which are not likely to survive in a home aquarium?

My .02
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The shark

I actually got her out of a smaller tank. The previous owner had only a 215gal. She is about an inch bigger now. She is currently in a 400 gal. She has plenty of room for at least a year, but I am the one who changed my mind on my livestock. If I can't sell her or take her to a bigger habitat then I will build a pond big enough to keep her as long as I want. Even though it would be expensive it would still be worth it. I have already helped her once and I would do it again. Thank you for your thoughts and sugestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nurse shark !

:beer:
Need to make room for upcoming fish. Beautiful shark, make offer
Id go 60.00 for her I have had a few nurse sharks and can say with 100% certanty that no body wants to buy the big ones at least not mine ,lol. I miss them though and have good memmories I would like to get another .
you may contact me @
[email protected]
The only problem is im in Southern NJ
even if you acceted my offer how would I get her here .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nurse Shark

Hello,

My name is Craig O'Connell and I am a member of SharkDefense Technologies. I currently work in South Carolina and have plenty of room to house some larger sharks. Our main facility in NJ is fully equipped, with basically two large pools for sharks. We are shark conservationists and would love to get our hands on this beauty to conduct some tonic immobility work (www.sharkdefense.com for info.).
If he/she is still available, I would offer you $75. If in agreement you can contact me at [email protected] or [email protected]

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually got her out of a smaller tank. The previous owner had only a 215gal. She is about an inch bigger now. She is currently in a 400 gal. She has plenty of room for at least a year, but I am the one who changed my mind on my livestock. If I can't sell her or take her to a bigger habitat then I will build a pond big enough to keep her as long as I want. Even though it would be expensive it would still be worth it. I have already helped her once and I would do it again. Thank you for your thoughts and sugestions.
Build your pond if there are no aquariums that will accept her, (but I'd keep looking for one) and keep her till then. Don't sell to some idiot offering $60.00 who doesn't know squat about sharks in the first place. A person knowledgeable about sharks would never offer to buy one unless they had a small ocean size aquarium or pond 3-5000 gallons in size (kinda expensive). Just like people buying a Leopard or tiger only to find out what it takes to care for one and the room they need to be happy. You've got the shark, keep it in the pond you're going to build for it till you can find an acceptable home for it that will have the room. But don't sell it only for it to be sold over and over again by people that think it's cool at first then realize they can't handle or don't have the RIGHT space for such a fish. It'll end up dead, guaranteed, that's not what you want is it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts