The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had these covering my sandbed for the better part of this year. I think they are Diatoms but wanted to get a confirmation (if you can tell from the picture). The tank is several years old. All levels are normal except for NO3 which are around 12.5mg/L. I'm trying to get them down, but would NO3 at that level create so much of this stuff all over the sandbed? I'm using RO/DI water and doing 20% water changes every other week (siphoning this stuff out). It still makes a comeback every day. I'll be getting a bunch of snails in the next week or so, but I'd rather get rid of the source.

Do these look like Diatoms and are my NO3 levels the reason I have them? Or should I be looking for a different cause?

Thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg. Are they a result of the nitrates, or should I look elsewhere for the cause?

I've tried aiming the powerheads at them; they continue to grow and just flourish in the current. And as I mentioned, I've had them for almost a year now, so its not looking like its something that is going to pass.

Thanks again.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I've been reading some of that thread too. Thanks.

But after reading it I started thinking that maybe its not cyano. My skimmer is working fine and I have turned it up lately. Of course doing the 20% water changes and cut back on feeding. Still nothing is helping me so far.

I'd rather not do any chemicals either; I want to solve the problem. Let me know if anything else works for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.