The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had these covering my sandbed for the better part of this year. I think they are Diatoms but wanted to get a confirmation (if you can tell from the picture). The tank is several years old. All levels are normal except for NO3 which are around 12.5mg/L. I'm trying to get them down, but would NO3 at that level create so much of this stuff all over the sandbed? I'm using RO/DI water and doing 20% water changes every other week (siphoning this stuff out). It still makes a comeback every day. I'll be getting a bunch of snails in the next week or so, but I'd rather get rid of the source.

Do these look like Diatoms and are my NO3 levels the reason I have them? Or should I be looking for a different cause?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg. Are they a result of the nitrates, or should I look elsewhere for the cause?

I've tried aiming the powerheads at them; they continue to grow and just flourish in the current. And as I mentioned, I've had them for almost a year now, so its not looking like its something that is going to pass.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've got the same thing, everyone tell me probably Cyano, there are quiet a few thing to try and take care of the problem...

First Chemicals, but that will probably only take care of the problem temp.

Second changing the skimmer you may or may not have, ofcourse frequent water changes, chaning feeding schedule and the time that the lights are on...I've got a thread on it, goes on and on, youi'll get different opinions from different people, if your looking to actually fix the problem then I wouldn't go with treating it with chemicals b-c it will come right back...it's a real pain mine is all over the sandbed growing onto the rocks...clean it and it comes right back the next day...

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you wanna find the thread it's in the General Reef under
"Cyano problem I need help" i started the thread I think it's on the 3rd page..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I've been reading some of that thread too. Thanks.

But after reading it I started thinking that maybe its not cyano. My skimmer is working fine and I have turned it up lately. Of course doing the 20% water changes and cut back on feeding. Still nothing is helping me so far.

I'd rather not do any chemicals either; I want to solve the problem. Let me know if anything else works for you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
To be honest with you I haven't decided, so many opinions on waht to do....let me know if you find something that works for you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.