The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this little guy a few days ago but he got away. I found him again today in my zoos. Is he good or bad?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Nudibranchs have to eat something. He doesn't look like the one I've seen that eats hair algae, so I suspect he is munching on something else in your tank...probably something you don't want eaten.

Sadly, most nudibranchs meet an untimely end in the home aquarium.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really wish he wasn't a problem for my zoos. Cool creature!

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been pulling them out with a turkey baster since my last post. I was getting about 10 to 15 a day at first. Now I am finding maybe one or two a day. All of them are very small (almost hard to see). I'm hoping that if I keep this up for a couple of weeks I will be rid of them. The nudis all seem to be only on one side of the tank in a small area. Zoos are all coming out again and I actually have to irritate them to get them to close when I look for other nudis. How big do they have to be to lay eggs? Largest I have found is about 1/4 inch. Only two of those. I pulled those out the first day. Most are about 1/16th inch.

As a warning, I did try a suggestion I found out here to dip the zoos in hot water on a small frag and I don't think they will make it. Room temp RO works just fine.

·
Banned
316 Posts
Those are full grown and sexually mature. These are very short lived animals, so they mature fast and reproduce a lot.

He doesn't look like the one I've seen that eats hair algae
All nudibranchs are predatory. Any slug that eats algae is not a nudibranch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had about a dozen of those found in my orange zoos. I am assuming they came in with their prey because They looked Identical to my zoos from the top. The only time I spotted them was at night when my zoanthids were closed and theior tentacles were growing brightly. They do reproduce very quickly. Sounds like you are doing the right thing on how your are extracting them.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm winning! I didn't find one today! Still keeping watch several times a day.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's now been a week and a half with no more new sightings! I hope I have found them all. Turkey baster and patience works well.

·
Banned
316 Posts
then, what's the lettuce nudi?
A sacoglossan. There isn't really a common name for them other than just the generic "sea slug."

People tend to use the term nudibranch for all sea slugs, but it only applies to a specific order or suborder (depends on who you ask) of slugs. It's one of the common names with real taxonomic meaning.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
The true Nudibranches you don't want anywhere near your tank as they maintain a large quantity of nemotocysts in their dermal layer. They tend to deposit these to claim their area and kill fish.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts