The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 gallon BB tank, it was supposed to be a softie tank, but due to all the trouble with the 50 it is now holding all my stonies (It is very crammed).

The coral seems to be doing great (knock on wood), but I am worried about the leathers waging chemical war on the stonies. I would run carbon, but it is loaded with phosphate, I won't have ozone in my bedroom, and I don't really want to get a UV as a temporary measure.

Will the skimmer take out the alopathic chemicals leathers use to harm Stonies?

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Registered
317 Posts
Man I am such a newb; so now carbon leaches phosphate?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
REEF-DADDY said:
run carbon ans some rowaphos........

Whats wrong with the 50?
Rawaphos leaches iron ;)

Short story on the 50. I was told to stop messing with it, so instead of spending my time dreaming up new lighting/pluming I decided to concentrate on cleaning it up. (wanted to get rid of the nitrate)

I blasted the detritus off the rock, the corals didn't like it.

Next day I blasted again, corals didn't like it.

Next day I blasted again, corals started to RTN at an amazing rate.

Really this sounds like a bad thing, and it was, but it brought an interesting thing to my attention. This tank really never has done all that well, now I have a possible reason why.

My tank now has no live rock, no fish, just a prop rack and coral. We will see.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
King-Kong said:
:lol:

It's been a long time since I read this so I hope I got it right,

To "activate" the carbon they use phosphoric acid this leaves behind phosphate. (I think)

There is another way to activate it that some companies use, but it has a side effect that is just as bad,...

Whiskey

·
Registered
115 Posts
maybe it would be better to have some phosphates from the carbon and not be worried about the leathers nuking the stonies

·
Registered
317 Posts
So what about running carbon and phosban? Would the carbon take up the excess iron and the phosban take up the excess phosphates?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wiskey said:
Rawaphos leaches iron ;)

Short story on the 50. I was told to stop messing with it, so instead of spending my time dreaming up new lighting/pluming I decided to concentrate on cleaning it up. (wanted to get rid of the nitrate)

I blasted the detritus off the rock, the corals didn't like it.

Next day I blasted again, corals didn't like it.

Next day I blasted again, corals started to RTN at an amazing rate.

Really this sounds like a bad thing, and it was, but it brought an interesting thing to my attention. This tank really never has done all that well, now I have a possible reason why.

My tank now has no live rock, no fish, just a prop rack and coral. We will see.

Whiskey
For the amount of Po4 the carbon is going to leach you'll only need a couple oz of rowaphos. Nothing wrong with iron in a reef tank, just like anything else as long as its kept in check.

But imho your overthinking it. Throw some carbon in and call it a day. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
wiskey:I wouldn't worry too much about the carbon(I use or the Rowaphos. I run Black Diamond Carbon and Rowaphos 24/7. I have never had any issues at all. I have heard that Phosban can have negative side effects, but if you use the right amount of Rowaphos and do not overdose, you should be fine.

·
11,345 Posts
King-Kong said:
Yeah, me too i guess. I didnt know that carbon leaches phosphate. I run carbon on two weeks off two weeks ironically i run my carbon THROUGH a phosban reactor. I have no detectable levels of phosphate in my systems......does anybody know how much it leaches??

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
The only good carbon is Black Diamond or Kent marines for no pho.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Wiskey said:
But they leach something else right? Do you remember what the "other" kind of carbon leaches?

Thanks,
Whiskey
no I only care about pho:funny:

·
11,345 Posts
Casey said:
The only good carbon is Black Diamond or Kent marines for no pho.
Hmmm, i have been using kent for a while now. So thats good but i do wonder what "else" kent and black diamond leach.

To be honest, when i get everything switched to sps only and lps only tanks i dont think i will be running carbon like i am now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts