The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife bought a purple nudibranch today for $30, and i was told to make sure he was ok in our tank, i just found him wrapped around one of the tanks overflow teath. not thinking i tried to grab him w/o killing the pump and the little guy went for a water slide. hes not so lifelike any more:(

i hope he recovers.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if he's still moving, that's at least a good sign for now.

i would definitly hold off on getting any new creatures until the tank has finished maturing.

i've been busy today, but if i recall, your tank is about 3 weeks old? or was it three months? i also think i remember that your's is one of the tanks currently going through a diatom bloom right?

if i'm remembering correctly, i wouldnt buy ANY new fish, corals, nudibranches, etc.. until tank is ready for it. give it some more time to mature a little.

also, you might want to consider a filter or egg crate over your overflow intake.

are you using an internal or external overflow?

i have external on this current 55 and i have poly filter that i put in the overflow to catch nasties, i also wrap the end of my u tube with it to prevent any fish from getting in

i did htis when i came home from work two days in a row to find one of my green chromis floating in the outside box!!

on the other hand, if your sump intake is separated from the skimemr and return pump by some sort of filter or sponge, then at worst, a creature will go for a wild ride, and end up in the sump, but will still be alive. sounds like that's what happened with the nudi.

hopefully he is ok.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the lsf here was going to sell her a starfish and a cucumber too! insisting the tank is ready after only 3 weeks. im glad i convinced her otherwise, cept for the nudi. i put him in the refugium for now, but theres no food in there for him seeing as i just added it.

would snails and hermits be ok to add, i was going to get a doz of each next week. should i still hold off?

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
a cleanup crew should be ok in a week or two. as long as there are NO traces of ammonia or nitrite, and preferably no nitrates as well.

but seeing no ammonia and no nitrite does not constitute a fully cycled tank. it jsut mens that those particular bacteria forms are now present for the current bioload.

i'd also wait to add anything until you get hte other things worked out. (ie: bubbles, filters, blocking off the overflows to critters, etc...)

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Many nudibranchs just don't fare well because we don't know enough about them to adequately provide for them. Yes, there are some which are propagated for algae control or aiptasia control, but many of the really pretty ones are still a mystery to us.

Definitly not a "first creature" for a newbie into the hobby :( Stores that sell like that give the rest of us a bad name.

Of course - it's also "buyer beware" - please please please know what you are buying, what it does, what it eats and how hardy it is before taking it home. A hobbyist *can* be his/her own worst enemy, as well as the LFS.

Jenn

·
Registered
99 Posts
thanks for the response Jenn, unfortunately our LFS is less than responsible. She said he would be great for algae control and was fine in our 3 week old tank. Of course i fell in love with his vibrant colors and coersed my hubby into letting me get it, all for the sake of "algae control"
We called back our LFS about the Nudi and they litterally said they didnt want it back in their tank so it would have to nuke ours instead and if we didnt want it we should throw it in the garbage!
I guess now i know better for next time and i dont think i'll be shopping at the same LFS anymore, id rather pay more and get good advice, or wait to go to the mainland and get them there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
brighteyes_cm said:
We called back our LFS about the Nudi and they litterally said they didnt want it back in their tank so it would have to nuke ours instead and if we didnt want it we should throw it in the garbage!
Wow! Did you tell them that you and all your friends will no longer be supporting such a unhelpful LFS? That is a terrible thing to tell a newbie, and bad business. I would boycott.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
thanks steve! actually, when i was on my state funded vacation last year, (room and board included ;))

i worked in the library, and helped in the "school" teaching english to illiterate guys. taught a number of guys to read and write!

one of my future plans, include a PC education clinic. to teach first time computer users the basics of using a pc in the home. such as connecting to the web, using email, using word procssing apps, basic website design, basic pc repair/upgrades, and so on.

thanks again!
jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.