The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone!
Yesterday I was responding to a thread on here about a frogspawn and while dining so I kept looking at mine to see the differences in the two corals. After doing so I decided that maybe my coral wasnt getting enough flow so I moved the ph just a fraction so it would get a little more flow. I also decided since I never feed my corals to wait until the lights had been off for a few hrs to throw a cpl of pinches of cyclopeez in the tank. This am my frogspawn is all puffed up? Ive never seen it do this before. Is it upset dyeing or just a full tummy?
Thanks.
Patrick
ps. Oh I forgot a few things Ive had this coral for several yrs like 4 I think. It seems to be happy it has a bubble on one of its heads and that has always turned into a new head. I have mh 2 250 watt 14000k 2 96watt pc 50/50 med flow.

· Reef Nut
1,255 Posts
Not sure what you mean by 'puffed up'? Can you post a picture? They don't like direct flow, but if it is too much they will usually close, not open more.

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean by 'puffed up'? Can you post a picture? They don't like direct flow, but if it is too much they will usually close, not open more.
Thanks scoop
sorry I cant post pix. The base of the flesh is all puffed up like a brain coral. The tentacles is out but not as far as they usually are. Its def open not closed.

· Reef Nut
1,255 Posts
It might just be responding to the food? wait another day and see what happens. Keep on eye on it because if the flow is too much it will recede and could cause damage. I always target feed my frogspawn w/ a turkey baster once a week and they grow like weeds.

· Forever Reef
2,326 Posts
hammers & Frogspawns love zoo-plankton such as cyclop-eeze..i feed it every day & each time i watch the tentacles reel the stuff into the mouth of the polyp...if i dont feed it for a while my LPS corals start to look bad.

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Scoop and ChilisREasy
I moved the flow back like it was before. Not blowing directly on it but like once every min the flow sweeps ove it. Since it has a cpl of bubles I have a feeling its just from the food. Like I said I never feed my corals so its prob very happy to get the cyclop eeze. I will take your leed and start feeding once a week.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
hammers & Frogspawns love zoo-plankton such as cyclop-eeze..i feed it every day & each time i watch the tentacles reel the stuff into the mouth of the polyp...if i dont feed it for a while my LPS corals start to look bad.
Sorry P, not trying to hijak...... I have had a Hammer for about 5 months and it has never eaten for me. It's in great shape always open and now 3 of the heads have split into 6. Exactly how do you feed yours?

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry P, not trying to hijak...... I have had a Hammer for about 5 months and it has never eaten for me. It's in great shape always open and now 3 of the heads have split into 6. Exactly how do you feed yours?
not sure if this question was directed to me or not but Ive never fed my corals until the other night. Ive had the frogspawn for well over two yrs and the other night was the first time. I waited until the lights had been off for a few hrs and put a cpl of tiny scoops of cyclopeeze in. The next morn my fs was all puffed up. The lights haven't come on today but I have a feeling its back down. My fs had always either divided a head into two heads or would send out a bubble that would turn into a head.

· Forever Reef
2,326 Posts
i just put the zoo-plankton in the tank... i never have seen my hammer eat shrimp tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.