The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my xenia is getting huge. So big that new ones are growing sideways. I know that people trim these things all the time. Here's my question:
Since all these corals are living creatures, do they feel pain? There is no way that I'm going to be able to cut one of these if I think it may be hurting him...:(

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Wow what a question.

The only way to answer is to know what you mean by feel. If you cut one of these creatures, is there going to be a response? In other words can you objectively observe a change in behavior as a result of your action? I think the answer to this is yes.

But does the creature experience it? They are not conscious or self aware, they have no memory of it. They wont show any learned behavior. So since they cant experience it in any sense of our understanding of experience, I would say no they dont feel it.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would you have the same concern about trimming the shrubs?
If my shrubs pulled away from me, to hide, when I got close, then yes.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
without getting into TOO much detail.

The concept of feeling pain would require a central nervous system....

corals do NOT have this as far as I know.

so they are incapable of feeling pain.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I'm being a whimp. Maybe I should have just gotten a hamster....:cry:

·
It is the way it is!!!!
464 Posts
I would think with a name like BUTCH you would not be worried at all:bigeek: :arg: :lol: :nuts:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
skeety said:
The concept of feeling pain would require a central nervous system....

corals do NOT have this as far as I know.

Since they are invertebrates by definition they dont have a central nervous system.

But yea, pain is not just a response that comes from nociceptors, it is a subjective experience so yes this would require a central nervous system.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you can't hear them scream.... dont worry about it. when you cut them and the shrimp and fish swim fast and hide..... you will know they can feel pain and are SCREAMING!!! Hahahaha

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Xenia spp have what are considered primative nerve tracks that allow some types of specialized cells in the specimen to transmit an impulse. It allows them to react to touch as a colony, and to perform the pulsing seen in some of these species of [Seniids. As for pain, this is a interpretation of higher animalsand as such, usually reuires some sense of existance beyond wht Xeniids are capable of (If for no other reason, then because they do not have the physical facilities to allow for interpretation of pain, as jack has alreay pointed out). So, no, these creatures do not experience pain. If you're really concerned about it, the workaround would b to place your colony in a location up current from a rubble bed and allow the colonies to grow across the rubble. you will find that they will divide themselves onto these rocks by gradually severing their connections to the mother clone.

I do not think this is a stupid question at all, as we really have no definitive way of determining that these creatures really do NOT feel pain, but it pretty much follows the type of discussion of when life ends for us as humans: is it when our heart stops beating, or when we stop using our cerebrum? (not intended to start a debate on the topic, rather, just a thought provoking statement). I would (and do) have no problem cutting these animals to increase their numbers and to control their growth.

But then again, I eat live oysters... ;)

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
this is a good question to ask although I wouldn't worry about it too much because as Tom said they will rip themselves off of a mother colony. I, for a fact, would not rip my own arm off in hopes of continuing the species;)

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx Tom, and everyone else that responded!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
tdwyatt said:
I do not think this is a stupid question at all, as we really have no definitive way of determining that these creatures really do NOT feel pain, but it pretty much follows the type of discussion of when life ends for us as humans: is it when our heart stops beating, or when we stop using our cerebrum?
It has to be heart stoppage because many people have stopped using their cerebrums long ago. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
drsyme said:
It has to be heart stoppage because many people have stopped using their cerebrums long ago. ;)
AMEN bro!

whateva said:
but that avatar is painful for me...
Heh! for some of us, the future is here NOW!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts