The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i forget stuff so you see why i need this .........i see online there are float valves and sensors that go in your sump..........i saw a tsunumi for 58.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/TSUNAMI-AT1-Auto-Top-off-System_W0QQitemZ7769510019QQcategoryZ3212QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem that looked ok but i know nothing about these..........this one said when your sump goes down 1 inch it will pump (with a pump you supply) water into the sump to replenish that inch.........so if i have a bucket of water with a pump in it and this sensor thats all i need............but again i have no clue whats better............float or sensor..........and what brand

·
Registered
154 Posts
Im having the same search right now as you. I've looked at the Tsunami AT-1 and its a good price; however ive read a post where 1 membr was having difficulty making this unit work properly. The second auto top off comes with a switch to stop the pump in the resivor from running dry so thats a plus. An alarm will sound when its in use, I hope you could turn that off. Im going to watch this one as I need to know a good auto top off as well.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,652 Posts
My autotopoff is very simple, I bought a Kent Marine float valve (it is plastic and $12) and hooked it up to a container of water that sits above my sump that has a ro line fitting in the bottom of it. I mounted the float valve in the tank where I wanted the water level to be and filled the holding tank.

Simple, cheap effective, it topoffs off slowly all day for stability, and if it fails it can only add 10 gallons of fresh water to mitigate the disaster (this drops salinity 2 points in my tank, from 1.026, to 1.024).

HTH,
Whiskey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts