The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the next 6 weeks or so I'm going to be stocking my 90 gallon w/30 gallon sump.
The only thing I'm set on is having a pair of true perculas.
My question I want to ask is:
what is your most entertaining reef fish and WHY.

I want fish that have personallity and offer a bit of entertainment while watching
Any added info on special requirements would be helpful too
Thanks so much!
hoping for some great info
:thumbup:

Attachments

·
My own cube of reef
257 Posts
My yellow tang was great! He had a TON of personality. Every time I went up to the tank he would freak out and get all excited and swim up to the glass and act like he was trying to communicate with me.....every where I moved along the tank he was right there with me! He was kinda like a dog.....he would kinda play peek a boo with me where he'd swim behind a rock then dart out again. Such a fun little guy! Sadly I lost my entire tank to an ich infestation from my stupid mistake of not quarantining a new fish....hate myself for not doing that!!! :angry:

But I will definitly be getting a yellow tang in my new 90 gallon :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I do want a tang, but I'm not sure which to get, a yellow seems to be a good one that everyone likes. I'm told it should be the last fish I should put in, do you think this as well>?

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
tangs are typically the last fish added, depending on what else is in there. they are very mobile and also can be very 'beligerent'. Just keep in mind with tangs, some are ok in a 90g, but others may need even more room. Check published sources for recommended tank sizes. Yellow is usually recommended in a 75g minimum, so you'd be fine with that one.

Also, fish will have individual personalities, just like people, so be careful 'stereotyping' a species. Some fish types will have general characteristics, but even then, individuals may vary.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Blue Jaw Triggerfish are awesome! "Kahuna" was friendly, magnificent, and 100% reef safe. And they stay on the smaller side for a triggerfish. A 90 gallon works for one.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Springeri Dottyback- awesome swimming motion, not aggressive
Fridmani Dottyback- That purple just glows, not aggressive(not to be confused with the Pseudochromis porphyreus which is another purple dottyback and vicious)
Yellow Assessor
Blue Assessor
Yasha Hase
Hi-fin Red Banded Goby
Orange Spot Rabbitfish
Leopard Wrasse(beautiful, but not easy to keep)
Trio of Anthias(Dispar, Resplendant, or Borbonius)
Solorensis Wrasse
Flame Wrasse(trio would be awesome, but $)

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
My favorite "personality" thus far in all of the tanks I have had since 2003 would be my yellow corris wrasse/canary wrasse. His color is gorgeous and he loves to dart in and out of the rock work and swim all around the tank. He too watches me and gets excited when I get close to the tank.

My next favorite "personality" would be the royal grama I had years ago. He would perch in his little cave most of the time but he often played with the other fish.

My favorite fish to look at thus far has been my copper band butterfly. Gorgeous fish!... but I don't recommend getting one. Mine has been a PITA to get on the right track, I wouldn't risk it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts