The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LPS FREAK
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of writing a resume does anyone know if I put my whole work history like from when I was a kid until now? Some people said I wasn't supposed to. But then I'll have gaps in my work history if I only pick and choose the ones that really matter. And I've done quite a few different things in my life so far so I have alot of things to list. Anyone know?
Thanks Chad

·
Registered
104 Posts
Depends how old you are and how much adult work history you have. If there are a handful of childhood jobs that are relevant or show something unique about you, I'd put them in an "Other" category. For example, have your main Job Experience category list your adult jobs, then in an "Other" category, you could list your cool hobbies/interests, and one or two of your really cool childhood jobs. I would only do this if there was something really cool about those jobs (e.g., I was a radio announcer in high school, so that says something about my responsibility, articulation, etc..., so I would list that. But I WOULDN'T list my 5 weeks as a busgirl at Bob and Thelma's steakhouse:)

Good luck, keep it less than 2 pages for sure, one page is better, depending on the type of job.

FWIW, Robin Ryan

·
Registered
235 Posts
My boss told me that the reason I got my job (beat out several people with years of professional experience) was because I put old high school and middle school jobs on my resume. The trick is to put achievements that reinforce that you learned skills that will help in the job you are applying for. I was going for a position that required good customer service skills so I emphasized how my job as a waiter required me to handle unhappy customers. I listed initiatives I undertook and achievements I made in other positions.

Just listing that you worked for a year at McDonalds and 8 months at Menards etc... Isn't worth putting on your resume even if it does fill in employment gaps. Spend the real-estate on more important things if you can't point to any achievements or skills gained.

·
Registered
110 Posts
resume

My best advice is either check on the web or in a book for guidance for this. There are a lot of good websites. I had to do a CV and that is how I learned. I also had some colleagues look at it multiple times. For sure put things in 18 years old and beyond. College and beyond. I would not put in jobs from when you were younger.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
I would be careful about putting all of your jobs in there, as you wouldn't want to give the impression that you either can't hold a job or that you tend not to stay in the same job for a long period of time.

·
LPS FREAK
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Do you like the little sayings that always change Mary helped me set up my pass word so she thinks its funny to change it around abit it is so I leave them thanks for your advise guys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agree with Tara to get some guidance online or books. Particularly important are perfect spelling and grammar, and avoiding wordiness and grandiose "sound bites". Think short, sweet, to-the-point. I won't call or interview an individual with spelling or grammar errors or poor/sloppy layout. Even if he/she isn't required on the job to write well, sending a sloppy resume is (IMNSHO) a reflection of a sloppy character.

But I'm a ***** to work for :eek:

Robin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts