The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just asking for advice on a new flower pot coral i got. most people say to stay away from it and thats its hard to maintain, is that true?? what do you guys recomend?? i have a 30g bow front tank, my water spec is all at 0, sal 1.26, 79-81f. under 130 wts light

·
Administrator
47,197 Posts
I have had a couple in the way past, they both gradually faded within 6 months :(

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
I bought one from an LFS before. It was about the size of a baseball. It had a very small black spot on the top of it. I did not know what that was, but soon found out that it was a dead polyp. Whatever killed that polyp continued to spread and there was nothing I could do about it. It took about 2 months, but all of the polyps died and I was left with an interesting skeleton.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
The following information is directly from Live Aquaria:
Goniopora sp. require PERFECT water conditions, the proper trace elements and the habitat must match its requirements. In general, the Red form of the Flower Pot Coral does better in an aquarium than other Gonipora sp. However, any damage to the meaty section of the True Red Flower Pot Coral almost always means a lost specimen. One can only do this Goniopora Coral justice by leaving its care to the experienced hobbyist with the expertise and time to keep the coral properly.
I hope you fit the bill for what they describe. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts