The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... How much and how often do you feed Seaweed to your Tangs? I just put some in my tank and the pigs tore at it so hard they pulled the clip off the side of the tank.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I rubberband to a shell that i use for that purpose only. I feed seaweed once a week as i only have one tang.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a 24" commercial size zip-tie that I use to hang my Nori from my hood door. I don't zip the tie to anything the notch on the zip-tie holds it to the door once the door is closed. The plastic tie then just hangs in the tank and the Nori is held with a rubber band. I try to wrap 2 sheets of Nori every day and hang out early in the morning before I go to work. I add Selcon or garlic to the Nori as well. I have 9 tangs in my tank plus 7 pygmy angel fish so they really appreciate the nori. I buy the Nori at an Oriental store at $5.95 for 50 sheets. This really seems to keep my fish healthy.

Patrick

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does Selcom and the Garlic do for the fish?

Pretty much everything in my tank will take a bite out of the nori....

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Garlic is a Kent product and the Selcom is an Omega 3 product. They are supposed to help the immune system. Bio Reef carries the Selcon product.

Patrick

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
selcon adds nutrients and vitamins to the nori. Nori alone does not contain may nutrients. I have had sick fish heal fast with selcon.

If you use fishing line for the nori clip use 20lb mono leader or florocarbon it will be easier to work with than your standard 12 lb test line

·
Registered
679 Posts
I used to clip few pieces of nori every few days. Now I'm lazy and just throw a small piece in every day. The tangs usually get to it before any goes to waste and they get fed more often.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
every other day if I think about it. I do feed my tanks daily though. A mixture of marine cuisine and emerald entree.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I guess I'll answer this even though I don't feed the tanks, My wife does. The Main Display get's a total of 4 sheets a day, 2 around noon and 2 early evening. That tank is home to our Naso Tang, Hippo Tang, Sailfin Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Potters Angel, Foxface Lo & "Lips" the lawnmower blenney. All of them have it off the clip before her hand comes out of the water.

The 75G tanks get only 2 sheets a day. Mine houses my Purple tang, Yellow Tang and a few other small fish that eat it. Have yet to notice if my Flame Angel eats it. My wife's has a Coral Beauty Angel & a Yellow tang as well as a few others that join in. The girl's has a Yellow tang and other misc.

The 38G has no tangs or angels and I'm not sure if she feeds any to that tank.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Ok, I need to correct Reefneck's post.

The numbers and times are fine, just replace "sheets" with "strips".

The 120g gets 3" wide strips and the others get 2" wide strips.

The sheets of nori we get, I can usually divide into two 3" strips and one 2" strip.

I know the inhabitants in the 120g would devour 2 or 3 full sheets per day if you put it in there, but they'd be fatter than little pigs! Not to mention the amount of doo-doo they'd produce!! As it is the Naso Tang is almost as fat as he is tall!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts