The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm new to aquariums but got into the saltwater hobby to share a common interest with my kids. We have a 55g and hob filter and not real happy with the clarity of the water. Read about the benefits of a in-stand filter, so we just got a used wet/dry filter. I hear bad things about bio balls so I think I'm going to remove the balls and add live rock instead and I think then it would be called a sump instead of wet/dry filter. Seems his is preferred if you have fish and corals. Any info you can provide will be appreciated.

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really excited to lose the heater in the tank and move it south to the sump. I'm a little scared of the overflow box with all I've read about flooding after power outages etc. I'm almost of a mind to use a small pump like on a old fashioned hob filter to pull the water over instead of relying on a siphon. This way no fear of a power outage. Your thoughts?.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm so new to this I really had to think about what those acronyms were.......we have live rock and a few soft corals like a toadstool and a Kenya tree and some small zooanthids and such. I could watch all the tiny life in the live rock all day probably for m more interesting than the fish, the LR and the shrimp that is

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.