The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
The less stuff in a sump the better. You want to remove anything that will trap detritus (gunk, poo, dead things). Even live-rock in the sump will trap gunk. Really, all you need is a sump to hold a skimmer.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Use the siphon or drill the tank. Matching pumps is impossible.

What type of overflow do you have? One type of design is much better than another. The "U-tube" design like those made by Eshopps is much more reliable than the "pressed C" shape of the CPR overflows. I known folks use the U-tube design for years and never have an issue, but I have also seen consistent failures as well. The trick is that there is no failsafe. You can buy a simple float-switch and install it on the tank so that when the water level rises to high in the display, it turns the return pump off. It is not a common application but some sleuthing might turn up a applicable switch.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
You didn't say what the setup will be?FO,FOWLR or Reef?It matters what your "wet dry" is going to have in it.
I thought it said fish and corals so I assumed that wet/dry was not preferable.

tshack: FYI, wet-dry system can and do work well for high-bioloaf fish only systems.

I'm so new to this I really had to think about what those acronyms were.......we have live rock and a few soft corals like a toadstool and a Kenya tree and some small zooanthids and such. I could watch all the tiny life in the live rock all day probably for m more interesting than the fish, the LR and the shrimp that is
I think you will be better served with a very simple sump design. Skimmer, heater, return pump. Nothing to go wrong, less to break, easy to clean.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
ahhh, gotcha... see I just read fast and I am known to "read" what I "want to read"... I am the worst spell-checker/proof-reader!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.