The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the nominations closed as of the end of the business portion of the meeting in October? If so I want to add that to the Nominations thread in the general forum....I can't remember when the nominations are closed. Obviously if no one is going to run for office...they will stay open longer....

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I do believe they are suppose to end at the close of the official part of the Oct. meeting.

But LIke you said --- It's going to be hard closing them if nobody volunteers.

I do have another prospective canidate but havn't talked to him yet will let you all know as soon as I do.

Also I think a short list from Jenn containing the top 5 or 10 people who attended the most meetings this year would give us a good list of who might be willing to join up.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
They officially close when the president declares them closed - there is nothing in the bylaws specifying anything else.

You can call for nominations from the floor if people don't post - sometimes putting people on the spot like that prompts them to accept ;)

Jenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
JennM said:
there is nothing in the bylaws specifying anything else.

Sort of but not exactly true.

The Constitution states "Nomination for officers shall take place in the month of October of the election year."

I really am not fond of calling people out at the Oct. meeting for any position. All thats going to get us is someone who hasn't thought about what they are getting into which could possibly lead them to not properly fullfilling their position.

I would rather

Also I think a short list from Jenn containing the top 5 or 10 people who attended the most meetings this year would give us a good list of who might be willing to join up.
Then we could contact these people by phone ahead of time and get some of them thinking about accepting a nomination/position.

·
5,916 Posts
So nominations can be done anytime in October. I see there are noms already and it's not even October. IMO it's not a hard fast rule until somebody (IE the president) declares noms closed, and that can run late if there is difficulty finding candidates. This is very typical in organizations like this - everybody wants to belong, but very few want the responsibility. As of now it's shaping up to be a game of musical chairs shuffling the current BOD - and I'd bet that most people will be content to do that.

If a Nomination is made on November 2, is anybody going to object to it? I'm not.

That's just the nature of the way people are within the context of clubs and organizations.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with both of you. The only way I would not accept a nomination on 11/2 is if we have closed nominations and all positions are being contested or filled. At the last meeting, I thought I stated that nominations can come between now and the October meeting. And I also thought I said, I would post in the forum to allow people to nominate. I am sure we will get some nominations in October. I know of at least one person that will run (for something)...but will wait until October to announce and or have someone nominate them. I will do a reminder so people are thinking about it for the October meeting....that's all we can do.

·
5,916 Posts
OMG we agree ;)

Insert Twilight Zone Theme Here.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I would still like to see a list of the top 5 or 10 people who attended the most meetings in 2003.

Depending on who's on that list we could call them and see if they would consider a position.

I believe most current positions are not planning on swapping only planning on remaining on the BOD so that leaves most positions needing to be filled.

·
5,916 Posts
I'll try to get that list together in the next week or so. I took 3 days off to attend a trade show and I'm terribly behind on my work, plus I've had two customer "tank emergencies" so I'm swamped.

Jenn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts