The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running an Octopus skimmer (RO-PS-2000INT) with a Bubble Blaster pump. The pump creates an annoying hum that I can hear from the other room. Is this normal for this pump? If so, what be done to reduce or deaden the hum?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
No, it should be very quite (not silent but no pump is)... humm, is the pump contacting the side of the fuge so that there is a vibration? Is the rubber "feet" connected and sitting correctly? Is the volute connected properly? Are the connections tight to the skimmer? Sorry, for the Q's, just troubleshooting with naming common issues :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's sitting on the bottom of my sump, not touching the side. Rubber feet are on. Is the "volute" the connection between the pump and the skimmer? Assuming it is, I'm pretty sure I have it connected properly. Is there anything I should check inside the pump? Also, I noticed that it is quieter when I run the pump by itself, disconnected from the skimmer.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
The volute is the clear "cover" for the impeller as well as the intake for the air and water. I would unscrew the volute housing and re assemble it. The BB pumps must be assembled correctly (the volute cover has to fit a certain way) and sometimes that is not always flush. How old is the pump?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Also, is the skimmer body touching the side of the sump... sometimes some vibration of the pump can travel through the skimmer body to the side of the sump... just another idea

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pump is brand new. I took the pump apart and reassembled it. There was nothing obviously wrong. It still sounds the same. Maybe I'm being too picky, but it seems loud to me.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
hummm... I have had the pump (HY 3000, slightly larger) for almost 2 years and it has been a champ. Very quiet (compared to my sicce, and about the same as a much smaller Sedra), the air intake can be "loud" (if I am searching for a issue because it pulls a lot of air) depending on the setup, but my Vortech makes more noise. Humm, is the sump area contained? I am wondering if there is just some acoustic anomaly happening but if it is loud then I am not sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts