The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have to remove my wet/dry to install my closed loop, so I will only have a skimmer and a refugium, but I can still run carbon and poly if i need to in the output of my remora... does anyone else run their system without wet/dry filters?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
The last time I used any trickle filter media (don't think I EVER actually used bioballs) was around 1989 or so, but then again, the big thing then for a healthy tank was to have tons of algae in the tank

:rolleyes:

Good move on pulling the bioballs, I would suggest doing it in steps though to allow your biofiltration to pick up the nitrogen load. Remove about 1/4 of the balls once a week for 4 weeks, that should allow your system to transition without any nitrogen-related issues.

Just curious, how much rock or sand is in the system, and how long has it been there?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I run what I call a "hybrid berlin system". I don't have any wet/dry, instead I have a mud sump with no macro algea.

Skimmer -of course

I also run an old canister filter I had laying around (Rena Filstar XP2). I don't have anything in the media chambers at all, it's just running as a "pump" to run my UV, though I have the option to add any media I would choose, should the need arrise (carbon, poly, etc.)

Pretty much my LR is doing the filtering...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I guess this isn't wet/dry then... I simply have filter media, poly and carbon no bio balls... it just a skilter 250

1 - 4 of 4 Posts