The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Coralife 65 is doing pretty good but you guys have convinced me that a better skimmer is key, I don't have room in my sump to put it inside it and my stand is too narrow to get a bigger sump so my alternative is to plumb it into the sump via bulkhead, Is this on ok way to run a sump?

What would be the best kind to get for this scenario?

·
11,345 Posts
I run a MR-2 from a bulkhead in the sump...as do a lot of people. Its not a big deal at all. The only advice i would offer is to try to locate the bulkhead near where your tank drains and i personally like to use a bigger bulhead than necessary.....make sure to put a strainer on it or it will inevitably get clogged with macro algae if you have any or a snail or SOMETHING......

this isnt a good picture but you might get the idea.....

the blue pump to the left you can barely see is a genx pcx 55 which runs my mr-2.......the drain line from the tank is the single smaller pipe copming down and the big pipe coming in from the side is the skimmer return. I have a 5 1/2" square partition just for the skimmer drain....it eliminates more than half of the bubble before the water continues on in the sump.....(it works better when my water level isnt low like it is in the picture..i was working on soemthing else at the time)notice the vent stack on the skimmerdrain line as well....that helps keep the water level in the skimmer consistent.

the vent stack is nothing more than a T with a 6" inch or so open pipe coming out the top end aond the bottom of course emptying into the chamber.......

i have baby in m y lap and i dont know how well i explained that...ask if you want a better wexpalnation

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no that makes pretty good sense, only thing that was kinda foggy is the vent stack, also what dictates what kind of pump you use for skimmer? I want something that is gonna be quiet, got any ideas?

·
Registered
345 Posts

I run mine that way , I use a big RIO with a strainer on it pumps over and into the top of skimmer and then a inch and a half bulkhead return

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool that answers that, and I thought i was stuck with my current skimmer, thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts